Strange glitching on Google Meet after switching to Omada SDN setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-23 14:31:45
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3

I recently switched from an Asus AiMesh setup with 3 RT-AX86U routers in mesh mode to a full TP-Link Omada SDN network which includes the ER7206 gateway, OC200 controller, TL-SG2428P switch, and 3x EAP610 v2 slim EAPs. Overall I am loving the features of the Omada lineup and how much control and data I have regarding the network. My WiFi performance especially is significantly better than the Asus mesh.

However, there is one glaring problem I am having since switching, and I am wondering if anyone can tell me why and if there is some setting I need to tweak. I work from home and hop on multiple Google Meet meetings every day. Sometimes when on these meetings I am also multi-tasking and loading webpages, etc. On my old network, I never noticed any sort of pause or stutter in the Meet video/audio when browsing websites. However, since switching to the Omada setup, any time I load a "heavy" site with a lot of content (two I noticed causing this are Fidelity and Youtube) the Google Meet audio/video hangs for ~1/2 second or so, sometimes for as much as 1 second.

Is this some QoS issue that my old Asus setup was better at handling? I can't seem to find any QoS settings in the Omada controlller. My old Asus had prioritization rules for things like Gaming, WFH, Downloading, Web Browsing, etc. I could browse websites and listen in on Google Meet without any issues.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Strange glitching on Google Meet after switching to Omada SDN setup
2023-02-02 06:51:19

@sr0001 My 605v2 with newest firmware already have QoS function. Probably 7206 will support future

Options
2023-02-02 14:02:07
I switched to the ER605 V2.6 about a week ago because the 7206 was overkill for my needs. It is on the latest firmware 2.1.1 but I still don't see any QoS features in my Omada controller.
Options
2023-02-02 15:27:27

@sr0001 

The feature are in 5.8.4 controller for the 7206,but the firmware hasnt been released to support the controller.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-03-29 15:44:21 - last edited 2023-03-29 15:47:35

I am also seeing a variant of this problem. I was recently on TP-Link Deco 5 mesh and upgraded to Omada ER605/OC200/3xEAP650. On the Deco 5s, Google Meet was very stable. After the upgrade, I get messages during meetings that I have been disconnected and then I get reconnected... and I can hear the meeting conversation the whole time but cannot talk during a disconnection. The connection cycle takes 5-30 seconds, it might happen 2-3 times during a 30 minute meeting but the effect is crippling.

I've set up an ACL to enable outbound UDP (guessing)  but there seems to be no effect. 

I'm working from home as others are, I need to find a solution.

Options
2023-03-29 21:25:20

@sr0001 

Are you on the same radio band as you were before?  Try creating a 5.8Ghz only SSID and use that for your Google Meet device and see if the lagging continues.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 465

Replies: 5

Related Articles