tl-r605 fault, best way to add a newer one to my network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-27 15:14:26 - last edited 2023-01-30 08:29:20
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20220512 Rel.76748

HI,

my network is composed by this device:

- OC200
- TL-R605 v1
- TL-SG2008P v1

- TL-SG2008P v3
- EAP265 HD.

Last night the TL-R605 v1 stop working (no led lights up), an i bought a new one over the internet (i don't know router hw version cause still not received the new one)

What is the step to use the new one without lose all setting of the old router?

Thanks in advice,

S.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:tl-r605 fault, best way to add a newer one to my network-Solution
2023-01-27 21:05:56 - last edited 2023-01-30 08:29:20

@Gersio 

Hello!  I think as long as you aren't trying to regress to a much older firmware version router, you should have no issue replacing your existing 605 with a new one (though I'd try just the power supply of the new unit with the old router...as that's very likely the only issue...and then this whole discussion is moot).

It has been my experience that a 'Site' configured on your Omada controller expects 1 router, no more, no less.  As such, if you lose your router and connect a new factory default one in it's place, then it will get adopted as 'THE' router for that site.  I expect this would even work replacing the 605 with a 7206. If you think about it, the site has WAN and LAN settings, and those can only come from a single router.  Worst case you might have to config your WAN settings again, but all the other stuff like LAN settings, port forwards etc should all just come back.

The same is NOT true of switches, where you can have many switches in a 'site'.  I'm about to head into this space as I replace a 2008P with a 2210P...will let y'all know :)

Replacing the OC200 with another, or an OC300 should be done with a 'Site migration' via the controller software itself.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:tl-r605 fault, best way to add a newer one to my network-Solution
2023-01-27 21:05:56 - last edited 2023-01-30 08:29:20

@Gersio 

Hello!  I think as long as you aren't trying to regress to a much older firmware version router, you should have no issue replacing your existing 605 with a new one (though I'd try just the power supply of the new unit with the old router...as that's very likely the only issue...and then this whole discussion is moot).

It has been my experience that a 'Site' configured on your Omada controller expects 1 router, no more, no less.  As such, if you lose your router and connect a new factory default one in it's place, then it will get adopted as 'THE' router for that site.  I expect this would even work replacing the 605 with a 7206. If you think about it, the site has WAN and LAN settings, and those can only come from a single router.  Worst case you might have to config your WAN settings again, but all the other stuff like LAN settings, port forwards etc should all just come back.

The same is NOT true of switches, where you can have many switches in a 'site'.  I'm about to head into this space as I replace a 2008P with a 2210P...will let y'all know :)

Replacing the OC200 with another, or an OC300 should be done with a 'Site migration' via the controller software itself.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:tl-r605 fault, best way to add a newer one to my network
2023-01-30 10:36:11

@d0ugmac1 

i've already tested the power brick of tl-r605 and it works.

For what i remember, i can clone my current site (with the broken router), and after that i can adopt the new router.

this are the step that i remember:

1. Setup the tl-r605 standalone, get its subnet IP range and other settings close to my current Omada network settings.
  2. clone my current site
  3. Remove the old gw and replace it with the new one
  4. Forget the old tl-r605
  5. Adopt the new tl-r605

So this step are not right? is really not possible to replace my gateway without have to configure my entire network again?

Options
2023-01-30 14:39:19
Migration is a controller thing and should not be necessary as your controller is working just fine. No harm taking a most recent backup though! I don't know how your set up your LAN IP structure, but if you've moved off the default TPLINK subnet of 192.168.0.x AND you no longer use DCHP to assign an IP to your OC200 OR you have configured a management VLAN, then yes, you'll need to pre-configure the router so it can 'see' the controller and vice-versa. (this is why I use DHCP reservations for my controllers and switches, rather than hard coding them). I would attach your laptop to the second ethernet port of the OC200 and get logged in. I would then connect the LAN port of the factory fresh router to the other OC200 port. Power it up and see if the OC200 will adopt it. Once adopted the site's 'router' config will get pushed down. Once it's been adopted and has finished configuring, it should have an identical setup to your dead 605 and you can just swap the cables over, port by port from the old router to the new. If the old router is still showing in the Devices table, you can now 'forget' it.
Options
2023-01-30 15:35:00

@Gersio 

This might come in handy:

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/faq/3148/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 496