Would you buy an Omada AP again?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-31 04:32:45

I'm a bit shocked how long it took TP-link to fix some of the issues here in the forum.

I saw one case where it took them 5 months for a stable firmware update for a critical issue and they didn't reply when users repeatedly asked when they're going to release it.

So I wanted to ask other customers how satisfied you are with Omada APs and if you would buy them again?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Would you buy an Omada AP again?
2023-01-31 14:10:57

@RodTogers 

Nothing is perfect. If you go to Unify community/reddit there are also many issues.

Tplink is just a cheaper choice.

Options
2023-02-01 12:01:17 - last edited 2023-02-01 12:34:20

@RodTogers I personally would not. I built our Omada Network consisting of Omada Switch, OC200, EAP610OD and 4 EAP225OD. I found out quickly that little changes can turn into substantial time spent getting things back where they were. Firmware upgrades, reboots after firmware upgrades, scheduled reboots and client distribution are like rolling dice, you never know whats going to turn up and its usually not what you wanted ;) 

While I built our RV Parks Wifi Network above, I bypass it for my own lot with Ubiquiti. I am the only site in the park getting 900+Mbps Up/Down and I have not touched the Ubiquiti since initial install.  I also tried bypassing the park in the same manner using TPlinks CPE710 PTP hardware but it fell short with under 50% of its claimed performance.

If price is a concern then the TPlink stuff ... works.  Im sure all systems will have their own set of issues.

Options
2023-02-01 15:57:59

RodTogers wrote

I'm a bit shocked how long it took TP-link to fix some of the issues here in the forum.

I saw one case where it took them 5 months for a stable firmware update for a critical issue and they didn't reply when users repeatedly asked when they're going to release it.

So I wanted to ask other customers how satisfied you are with Omada APs and if you would buy them again?

@RodTogers 

I would probably buy for private use but I would never recommend it for business or commercial use.
the reason is that when you buy a product you never know what you will get, there are a huge number of versions of each product and each version is in principle a separate product with different properties and functions, you don't even know if it will work together with the solution you have. an example is PPSK which is supported on some access point version  but not others, it is simply chaos

in a business product you have to know what you are buying so that it fits in with the rest of the solution you have.

Options
2023-02-02 15:34:29

@RodTogers 

I would use this in a SMB... Not enterprise level (cisco/meraki like advance features).  But I have full stack omada stacks in SMB with no issues.  

I usually test hardware in labs before launching it to the public.  Some R&D will save your behind in the long run.  

I also have a lot of IT friends who use all different vendors... so using them as a sounding board is always helpful.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-02-03 11:39:32 - last edited 2023-02-03 11:41:02

@RodTogers 

Agree with most others, through my work life I have used multiple vendors and none are perfect.    Ubiquiti is a more expensive and has a few more features, but arugably in terms of firmware its not that much better and performance is roughtly the same, still going to get issues with firmwares!.

Maraki and Fortinet are more expensive and better overall but come at a massive price premium.    But that is what you are paying for

Omada is barely more expensive than home-grade hardware, for the price point I personally think it does a good job.  Its perhaps not as fully featured, doesnt have all the bells and whistles, and yes firmwares are slow to roll out, however at the cost of the hardware there has to be some limits on expectations

Options
2023-02-13 21:13:12

The hardware is great but the software / firmware leaves a lot to be desired, the glacial pace of updates is a big concern. I'd love to get TP-Link Wi-Fi 6E / 7 APs when they're available but I know there will be early bugs and compatibility issues and I can't wait for months between releases.

Hopefully we'll get OpenWrt support in the future.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 486

Replies: 6

Related Articles