Omada Controller 5.8.4 VLAN Setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-06 00:29:25 - last edited 2023-07-21 03:06:48
Model: EAP620 HD  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

I am upgrading from Omada 3.2.10 with EAP225s to Omada 5.8.4 with EAP620HDs. Since I was jumping from such in old version, I did a fresh install (the 3.2.10 was in a VM, so I just installed 5.8.4 on a different system as I didn't need the VM anymore outside of that). I was able to add the EAP620HDs to Omada without issue and am able to get connectivity on all devices without my VLANs setup.

On the 3.2.10 setup with the EAP225s, I had three VLANs setup and it was working. I have a TL-SG1024DE switch that cannot be managed in Omada. Here's how the VLANs are configured in the switch:

VLAN ID    VLAN Name    Member Ports    Tagged Ports    Untagged Ports
1                 Default            1-24                    1-24    
102             IoT                  1-3,6-7                6-7                    1-3    
104             Guest              1-3,6-7                6-7                    1-3    
106             Production       1-24                    6-7                    1-5,8-24

My DHCP server is on ports 2&3 (LAG) and my gateway is on port 1. I only have one network; 192.168.0.1/24. Ports 6&7 are the two EAP620HDs. The TL-SG1024DE does not allow the default VLAN to be removed.

In v3.2.10 all I needed to do was add the VLAN to the SSID and it was working. However, in 5.8.4, this is not working. If I add the VLANs to the SSIDs, I cannot get any devices to get an IP address, likely cause it is not able to get to the DHCP server and I am not sure why.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Omada Controller 5.8.4 VLAN Setup-Solution
2023-02-06 06:47:30 - last edited 2023-07-21 03:06:48

Dear  @cheeseman5147 

Thank you for your kindly feedback.

Your old settings was working because there was a "mechanism" on our old EAP firmware. The EAP will transfer "main VLAN" data to all the VLANs not matter the SSID VLAN ID. 

Here is an old guide that shows how it works:

How to Setup TP-Link AP’s Multi-SSID (VLAN) to Work with TP-Link Switch

We have to correct it on new EAP firmware since it's not good for security and that's not a how standard VLAN access point work. 

For currently EAP, the uplink port will detect Tagged data and put them to the correct VLANs.

However that means if you want to have working multi-SSID on your network, the best way is to use Guest Network option of the EAP; Or you will need to get a new router to handle the VLANs. 

How to configure Multi-Networks & Multi-SSIDs on Omada SDN Controller

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Omada Controller 5.8.4 VLAN Setup-Solution
2023-02-06 06:47:30 - last edited 2023-07-21 03:06:48

Dear  @cheeseman5147 

Thank you for your kindly feedback.

Your old settings was working because there was a "mechanism" on our old EAP firmware. The EAP will transfer "main VLAN" data to all the VLANs not matter the SSID VLAN ID. 

Here is an old guide that shows how it works:

How to Setup TP-Link AP’s Multi-SSID (VLAN) to Work with TP-Link Switch

We have to correct it on new EAP firmware since it's not good for security and that's not a how standard VLAN access point work. 

For currently EAP, the uplink port will detect Tagged data and put them to the correct VLANs.

However that means if you want to have working multi-SSID on your network, the best way is to use Guest Network option of the EAP; Or you will need to get a new router to handle the VLANs. 

How to configure Multi-Networks & Multi-SSIDs on Omada SDN Controller

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 318

Replies: 1

Related Articles