SSH or Console commands for ER8411

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-06 00:51:07
Tags: #WAN Setup #SSH
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: V1.6_1.0.2 Build 20230115

Where can I find the guide to log into my ER8411 via ssh or via console port so this router can actually be useful?

This isn't a cheap device and I'd like some granular control over it. 

I've enabled "ssh" through the portal but it's useless without root. Plus I want to use the router in stand-alone mode. 

I've seen a 3rd-party guide on how to calculate the root password, but it's not working and it really shouldn't be that difficult anyway. 

At very least, please provide the proper settings to use the console port and included cable to log in. 

Thanks

Options
4 Reply
Re:SSH or Console commands for ER8411
2023-02-07 07:50:48

@tls9 

I also can't find any info about it. Maybe you have to use Omada Controller to manage this router.

Options
2023-02-08 02:05:21

@Somnus It has a console port and I know for a fact you can ssh into it with your administrator account, but it's not root and you can't do much. 
Others have stated it's running a modified version of OpenWRT like the 605's, and if that's the case TP-Link needs to legally release the source code. 
At very least give us the tools to take ownership of the device!

I have about 4 more days to return it to Amazon and I think I'm going to. 

Options
2023-02-08 02:55:22 - last edited 2023-02-08 02:56:05

@tls9 @Somnus

Here's how to SSH as root for the ER605 in standalone mode. I will assume the ER8411 works the same.

• Open System Tools > Diagnostics > Remote Assistance in the web GUI. Enable Remote Assistance. (This turns on SSH in standalone mode)
  • Compute the root password
    1. Append the standalone web GUI username to the MAC address to make a string in this format:    xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xxadmin
      (My local username is "admin" in this example)
    2. Find the MD5 hash of the string from step 1
    3. The first 16 characters of the MD5 hash in step 2 will be the root password
  • SSH to the router. On Windows, I had to specify a less secure algorithm to use since the router's software/configuration is a bit dated
    Command: ssh -o KexAlgorithms=diffie-hellman-group1-sha1,diffie-hellman-group14-sha1 root@x.x.x.x

Let me know if you have issues and I can try to clarify the steps.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/TPLink_Omada/comments/q9fkcp/comment/hgyl2mx

Options
2023-02-09 00:36:31 - last edited 2023-02-09 00:41:58

@dsj Thanks for the reply!

WAN port, correct? Also, do I include the colons? By your example, yes, but just making sure. 

The ER8411 has several "wan" ports out of the box, but I'll try them all and report back. 

Thanks again!

EDIT:

It works!

Use the LAN MAC address and keep the colons in place!

Thank you again

Options