power save for wireless clients ?? Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery:

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-18 10:58:18 - last edited 2023-02-21 05:45:28

say, eap670 and 650, software controller , looking about power save. my wifes samsung s22u showed power save a while back, not sure mine ever did.. 

i have Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery: enabled for both, on both bands. i saw an older post about having to power cycle the access points, not sure if that still is the case.

if anyone can share more information, that would be great, thank you.

main wireless samsung s22 ultra phones, samsung tab s7 plus tablets, computer.... then iot stuff and cameras.. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:power save for wireless clients ?? Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery:-Solution
2023-02-20 07:29:45 - last edited 2023-02-21 05:45:28

Dear @JS_racer,

The Power Save state on the Omada Controller refers to whether the connected client is in power saving mode, when the client enters the power saving mode, it is enabled, and when the client wakes up from the power saving mode, it is disabled. Basically the Power Save state is not static. During a connection, the client will set the network card to power saving mode multiple times to save power, so the client may repeatedly enter the Power Save state for a short period of time. Besides, the power save state on the controller doesn't reflect the current state of the client since the info is not refreshed for real-time.

If you still have an doubt, you can capture the packets to confirm the U-APSD is enabled on the EAP, check out this post for details.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:power save for wireless clients ?? Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery:-Solution
2023-02-20 07:29:45 - last edited 2023-02-21 05:45:28

Dear @JS_racer,

The Power Save state on the Omada Controller refers to whether the connected client is in power saving mode, when the client enters the power saving mode, it is enabled, and when the client wakes up from the power saving mode, it is disabled. Basically the Power Save state is not static. During a connection, the client will set the network card to power saving mode multiple times to save power, so the client may repeatedly enter the Power Save state for a short period of time. Besides, the power save state on the controller doesn't reflect the current state of the client since the info is not refreshed for real-time.

If you still have an doubt, you can capture the packets to confirm the U-APSD is enabled on the EAP, check out this post for details.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:power save for wireless clients ?? Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery:
2023-02-20 12:30:46

@Fae 

thank you, yeah, that was one of the posts i was reading, the other was about power cycling the access points to get power save working again. 

thanks for the added explination 

Options
Re:power save for wireless clients ?? Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery:
2023-02-21 01:19:59

Dear @JS_racer,

You're welcome. Hope you enjoy with TP-Link products!

Options
2023-02-21 15:23:41

@JS_racer @Fae 

I've also wondered about this feature.  I have three models, EAP225v3, EAP245v3 and EAP670.  On the 225 and 245, several clients show they are in power-save, on the 670, I have NEVER seen a client in power-save.  These are similar clients, being IoT devices (smart plugs or the like) and iphone/ipads.  So the same devices reside on the 670 as they do on the others...yet never shows power-save active.  Actively streaming data from one of the devices indicating power-save remains in power-save...which seems wrong...how would a client remain in power-save while streaming?  It's a one second refresh, not video streaming, but a continuous data flow.  I can see it maybe going into intermittent power-save, but sometimes I think I should be able to see it NOT in power-save.

Anyhow, that's what I see here in the Linux controller (latest version), I've more or less dismissed it as not really working as I think it should (or the controller is not reporting it properly).  Firmware on the APs are EAP670 is latest beta, EAP245 5.1, and EAP225 5.08 (the latest version causes errors and dropped packets similar to how the EAP245 firmware was prior to the patch).

Aside from all that, I don't have any problems with the APs with the firmware I have installed...very reliable and good performance.

Thanks!

APs: EAP225v3, EAP245v3, EAP670, Controller: Linux, Primary Switch: T2600-28TS, Routing: OPNsense
Options
2023-02-25 19:23:46
Its reporting weather the devices supports and is using power saving, not whether the device is power saving at that exact moment. The UI doesn't update fast enough to show the Real-time status of i f the devices is sleeping/power saving at any given moment. Again its just showing the devices supports and will be power saving when it can. Most phones both Android and Apple support this.
Options
2023-02-25 19:51:48 - last edited 2023-02-25 19:52:31

@Napsterbater 

So my s22 ultras should show this?? 

I have seen it once for one of them... My tab s7 and s7+ I haven't seen either... Just my wife's phone once... 

From what you are saying both should show it as enabled 

How would one go about getting it working??

Options
2023-02-28 19:31:21

Updating to controller (linux) 5.9.9 now shows clients in (or ability to be in) powersave mode on the EAP670.

APs: EAP225v3, EAP245v3, EAP670, Controller: Linux, Primary Switch: T2600-28TS, Routing: OPNsense
Options
2023-02-28 20:55:12

@GPB sweet, missed the Linux update... I'll load it up! 🙂 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1392

Replies: 8

Related Articles