New firmware required for Switch, Gateway or EAP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-22 15:36:28 - last edited 2023-04-07 13:12:46
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: latest

@Fae, or anyone whom is able to answer the question. I just read the changelog for Omada 5.9.9 but as there are 11 changes, whereas 8 need an additional firmware update from a switch, a gateway or an EAP, when can we expect those firmware updates? Is there a roadmap and which versions do we need for these changes? Just out of curiosity when will we be able to use those features?

See below for an overview of the numbers which require an additional firmware update:

1. Added the Tools page to the Site view,. New firmware updates for Omada devices are required and will be released later.

2. Added support to download device info, New firmware updates for Omada devices are required to obtain complete information. 

3. Added support for the following IPv6 features, require firmware updates for Omada devices:

4. Added the CLI Configuration, requires the firmware upgrade for Omada

5. Added the "Lock To AP" feature. No firmware update required requires new firmware updates for Omada EAP

6. Added the "SSID Rate Limit" feature. requires new firmware updates for Omada EAP,

7. No firmware update required

8. No firmware update required

9. New firmware updates for Omada EAPs are required.

10.. New firmware updates for Omada Switches are required.

11.. This requires new firmware updates for Omada Gateway.

Edit: some typos
New edit: Changed number 5 as it has been confirmed it does require a firmware update instead of what was said before.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:New firmware required for Switch, Gateway or EAP-Solution
2023-04-07 12:13:04 - last edited 2023-04-07 12:13:08

Hello @R.n., @KimcheeGUN, @cm--007 

Thank you for your great patience with the firmware release.

The beta firmware for OC200/OC300 5.9.32 was just released, please check out this post for downloading.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
23 Reply
Re:New firmware required for Switch, Gateway or EAP
2023-02-23 01:25:28

Dear @RBL,

Sorry that I don't have further insights into when the firmware will be released for Omada devices.

What Omada devices do you have in your network?

Are you using the Omada devices for home scenarios or for enterprise scenarios?

Which new features do you indeed need to use ​in your network?

Just trying to understand your actual need and see if I can help you further here.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-02-24 10:37:35

Goodmorning @RBL and @Fae 

I totally agree with this, it seems there's no clear release management.

No roadmap with when we can expect which version to expect what.

I'd rather see TP-Link working on maintenance bundles which include new firmware for the OC, EAP and switches.

Rather then just releasing a piece of software that's missing a lot features due to firmware that's not coming for several months.

Another thing that is bothering me, is that I had to upload beta firmware to my gateway in order to make the DHCP work again recently.

It feels like hard- and software are not working together as it should and we (the community) are expected to cope with that.

I guess the point I'm trying to make, there's so much potential in this soft- and hardware at this price point.

But because of all the minor issues and wonky release management the whole omada solution in itself feels unmature.

Options
2023-02-24 12:53:48

This is absolutley ridiculous... and then skippping a complete Version of the Hardware-Controller Firmware is the most stupid thing you could do...

I'm still waiting to use features that my hardware in theory already can do for months, but then you freaking skip this version and instead pump more functions into a newer Controller Version with a huge delay that no hardware can handle...

Sad that you need customers to tell you, how stupid this is.

Controller Version 5.9.32 OC-200 v2.0 (2.9.3) ER-605 v2.0 (2.2.0) TL-SG2008P v3.0 (3.0.5) TL-SG2008P v3.0 (3.0.5) EAP610(EU) v2.0 (1.0.2) EAP610(EU) v2.0 (1.0.2)
Options
2023-02-24 13:06:35

@Fae thank you for replying. I currently use the following devices at home:

1x OC200 1.0 (1.21.7 Build 20221206 Rel.58608)
1x TL-R605 v1.0 (1.2.2 Build 20230208 Rel.74570)
1x TL-SG2218 v1.0 (1.1.7 Build 20221130 Rel.42340)
3x TL-SG2210P v3.20 (3.20.8 Build 20221130 Rel.42340)
3x EAP245(EU) v3.0 (5.1.0 Build 20230104 Rel. 79433)
2x EAP225-Outdoor(EU) v1.0 (5.0.9 Build 20220429 Rel. 43558)

From a business perspective we use al lot more devices, but that is not my point. I totally agree with @BartvdbB there seems to be a total lack of release management. And if something is being released it needs a couple of beta firmware to solve the issues introduced by the new firmware.

Also mentioning new features which apparently cannot be used until a firmware release has been published from some kind of other device and the release date is unknown to everyone, including the members of TP-Link, does not sound like a proper usage of a DTAP environment (Development, Testing, Acceptance, Production).

Regarding the release notes, instead of 11 new features only 3 can be used, for the rest of the features it is unknown if (because it is unknown which devices will receive an update) or when the features can be used.

You were asking me what kind of features I am waiting for? Well actually there is one, it was announced at the beginning of 2022, a device which was capable of doing IDS, IPS and application firewall etc (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci_VOQ_TFXs - mentioned at 1:18:00 unfortunately in Dutch only) but all went silent after the announcement.....

But my primary point is:

It seems useless to introduce new features which cannot be used until the entire chain is updated and these firmware updates could be ages away. Creating expectations also requires creating transparency on when features can be used.

A timeline of when features can be used would be highly appreciated.

Options
2023-02-24 16:29:59

This is exactly the kind of thing that is most often complained about in the Unifi community: Instead of prioritizing known software bugs, more and more new features are implemented.

Some of them are then no longer compatible with "older" devices without a firmware update and updates are no longer available because the devices are EOL...

A vicious circle that TP-Link will hopefully never enter.

ER7206 V1 (ER605 V2 - reserve) OC200 V2 SG2428P V5 EAP655-Wall V1 EAP615-Wall V1 EAP610-Outdoor V1 EAP245 V3 EAP225-Outdoor V1 EAP225 V3
Options
2023-02-24 18:14:54 - last edited 2023-02-24 18:19:41

I think part of the problem lies in the fact that the omada controller software can control many types of makes and models of devices and each of these devices could be running on any number of different firmwares versions.  When these features are released they do work on some of these products. 

The problem arises when these features "appear" but the customer doesn't actually have any devices (or just a subset) in their network that support the feature "yet".

IMHO,

The software should be enhanced and either hide or disable functionality related to a given device if it's current firmware version doesn't support the feature.

A good example of this was when time based ACL feature was released.  It was noted in the release notes that "IF" your device supported the feature then it would work as expected, otherwise it would just apply for the whole day.  I found out the hard way that my devices at the time didn't support the feature and locked everyone out of the network.

OmadaLinux v5.13.10 R605 V1:1.3.0 - Build 20230511 R.51317 SG2008P V1:V1.0.8 Build 20230602 R.73473 SG2008P V3:V3.0.5 Build 20230602 R.73473 3 x EAP245 V3:V5.1.0-Build 20230104 R.79433
Options
2023-02-27 10:05:35

Hello @BartvdbB, @RBL 

Thank you for your kind feedback. The Controller and Devices (including Routers, Switches and APs) are actually maintained by different software teams, the progress of firmware development on different devices would be different and the plans of firmware release are always subject to change, it would be hard to provide a unified and exact timeline.

When the software team develop new features, the entire development time period of Devices firmware will be longer than that of the Controller software as the Controller usually only needs to add the relevant interfaces to handle related data packets from the devices while the main achieve is in the Devices. It will take some time to release a stable firmware on a device to support multiple new features. Hope you understand and be patient.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused!

Options
2023-02-27 10:38:18

Hello @R.n. 

Thank you for your feedback. Each firmware will need to pass a full testing phase before the release, which would take a long time. And the entire firmware development of OC200/OC300 usually takes longer time than that of the Omada Software Controller as further adjustment and optimization will be required on the OC200/OC300 firmware. Sometimes, to save the time and catch up with the whole release progress, two firmware release will be merged into one firmware release to let our users enjoy the new features as soon as possible. Sorry to keep you waiting. Hope the new firmware for OC200/OC300 be available soon.

Options
2023-03-16 12:57:30

@Fae 

I am extremely disappointed by the lack of prioritization of customer satisfaction when it comes to providing firmware updates for OC200/OC300. It is unacceptable that customers have to wait so long for new features and improvements that should have been available long ago.

I urge you to take immediate action to ensure that customers no longer have to wait unnecessarily for firmware updates. It is completely unacceptable that important features are not available in skipped versions, which restricts the use of the product.

I expect you to rectify this issue promptly and prioritize customer satisfaction in the future.

Controller Version 5.9.32 OC-200 v2.0 (2.9.3) ER-605 v2.0 (2.2.0) TL-SG2008P v3.0 (3.0.5) TL-SG2008P v3.0 (3.0.5) EAP610(EU) v2.0 (1.0.2) EAP610(EU) v2.0 (1.0.2)
Options
2023-03-16 14:33:23

@Fae 

Maybe a good idea to grab a select group of users to be "Alpha Testers" so that could speed up QA/R&D research.

Alpha testing firmware, software, and hardware. 

I would happily volunteer to help with that process.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options