Unstable Internet connectivity since routing bug occured

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-24 16:16:15
Tags: #routing
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: v1_1.2.1 Build 20220512

Recently I noticed a routing anomaly while performing traceroutes to find out why Internet connectivity has become so unstable. The results were quite consistent with 169.254.11.21 appearing as the either the second to last hop before the destination IP, or as the final hop, following the destination IP specified in the traceroute command. Everything was running smoothly before this routing bug occured and the IP 169.254.11.21 never before appeared in traceroutes. I have read the other community posts here relating to this issue, and while in those cases, this IP often appeared as the second hop in the traceroutes, one explanation provided that this is "by design" is inaccurate. I am not using the Omada cloud based controller services, and the router ports are configured per default settings (port 1/WAN) ports 2-5 LAN. I have examined the routing table and everything looks fine there. For myself this issue just started occuring recently, following almost a year of problem free operating. Connecting a laptop directly to the ISP's modem does not reproduce the issue, therefore the problem lies within the ER605. Any insight from the community, and instructions for a possible fix, would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Unstable Internet connectivity since routing bug occured
2023-02-27 12:29:56

Hello  @sascha898 

Please install the Beta firmware ER605(UN)_v1_1.2.2_Build 20230208 (Beta) provided in this solution post for checking. Let me know whether it helps for your case. Thanks!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-03-06 16:07:26

@Fae Hello Fae and thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately, the beta firmware you referred to does not relate to my issue because the DHCP service on my router is completely stable. I managed to achieve some stability after implementing an ACL blocking all traffic to/from 169.254.0.0, but this only lasted a week and the issue resurfaced. After investigating further I found that the router was listening on TCP port 1723 (PPTP). This was very unusual since I am not using this service, nor is it configured, so I blocked that as well. I find this router very unstable and will be replacing it soon with an older model without any cloud capabilities.

Options
2023-03-07 02:43:18 - last edited 2023-03-07 02:58:58

Hello @sascha898 

May I ask how you found that the router was listening on TCP port 1723 (PPTP)? Did you capture packets from the LAN or the WAN? If you didn't configure any VPN services on the ER605 router, you may figure out whether it's the device in the LAN or WAN that is trying to send the packets to the ER605 router.

Edit: The IP 169.254.11.21 is just a virtual interface in the router to help forward LAN-WAN data (for multi-networks support). It's has nothing to do with Omada cloud services. And the router won't connect to the cloud in Standalone mode.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 504

Replies: 3

Tags

routing
Related Articles