Super Slow Internet Connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-28 06:01:04
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.4

I have several APs. Often times, on a particular APs (EAP110-Outdoor and EAP610-Outdoor), clients connected to them have a super slow internet connections. I need to reboot them before their internet connections becomes normal. Considering that I have also scheduled a daily reboot of all the APs in the system.

Options
11 Reply
Re:Super Slow Internet Connection
2023-02-28 20:20:54

@Ric04jan72 

Are any of those problem AP's meshed wirelessly?

Have you engineered your 2.4G wifi channels, or are they all on Auto/Auto?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-03-01 07:35:59

@d0ugmac1 

Thank you for your reply.

All my APs are wired not meshed wirelessly with auto-channel setup.

If I setup my APs to a certain channel, I will certainly encounter an error after few days that the said channel is already in used by other APs.

Options
2023-03-01 11:07:29

@Ric04jan72 

during the slowness... can you confirm the signal strength of the clients?  Also confirm the clients are connected to the proper AP? 

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-03-01 13:53:28

@Ric04jan72 

Ok, leave your AP channel selection on auto for now, but fix the 2.4G radios to be 20Mhz only.  Try that for a few days.

You are obviously operating in a noisy radio area, so you want to concentrate the power of your AP...slight tradeoff in max throughput but significant gains in goodput (I love that term!)

Options
2023-03-01 15:08:41

@KimcheeGUN 

The signal strenghth is very strong. They are just beside the AP about 5 meters away with no obstruction

Options
2023-03-01 15:43:35
Strength and quality are different. We can scream at each other during a rock concert...but you still might not hear all that I'm saying.... Radios are the same. The 2.4G ISM band is unlicensed, people can do what they want up to about 1W. How far apart are the outdoor APs from each other? So your reboot might be just forcing a re-org of the radio channels being used at that moment in time. That's why I'm suggesting you fix the 2.4's channels to 1,6 or 11 and narrow them to 20Mhz to remove some of the variables, otherwise you could chase this for a long time.
Options
2023-07-10 23:55:17

@Ric04jan72 

did you find a fix for this?  i have a similar issue. 

i purchased the eap110 outdoor in order to have strong wifi connection in an outbuilding.  we have a starlink satellite and use the router it came with in the house, with an ethernet connector sharing the connection to the eap110 over about 80meters of cat6wire.

my wifi speed is 150 to 180mbps directly on starlink, but only 20 or 25 mbps from the eap110.  i have tested it using a 1meter long cable too.  same issue.

when it set it up i used all the standard settings, only named the ssid and password, no other changes.  i'm not even sure what to perhaps change.  i've ready the manual, watched the videos, and a few videos on youtube.

what setting might need to be changed?  

Options
2023-07-11 04:21:29
iI you jack your laptop into the cable that plugs into the 110 in the outbuilding...what kind of speeds do you get? (just checking to see if it can negotiate 1000M instead of 100M) Are you testing from inside the building nearby the AP?
Options
2023-07-12 15:26:54

@d0ugmac1 great suggestion.  when i plug the cable into my laptop instead of the eap110, there is basically no signal.  the computer registers that there is a connection, but it is so weak that the speed test site doens't even activate.  i'm ignorant on this overall topic, but am i interpretting correctly that the signal just isn't passing along the cable?  the little signal that does pass seems to be boosted and shared better through the eap110 than just what is available on the cable directly.  

another commentator said that 100m of outdoor grade cat6 cable is just too long for the signal to pass along.  but the reality of the situation is that the starlink is in my house (which is where my powerful solar system is ... we are 100% offgrid), and i can use the computer using either cable or wirelsss just great in the house, and phones on wifi in the house, but i need a connection to be accessible in the outbuilding which is 100m away.  

i clearly have no idea what i'm doing here.  do you have a suggestion of how to get my starlink signal to an outbuilding 100m away?  would using POE cable make a difference, or some kind of signal booster in the house prior to trying to share the signal via cable?  is the starlink all-in-one modem and wifi router part of the problem?  i think i can use it just as a modem, turn-off/bypass the modem function and replace it with a stronger modem.

i've watched at least 100 videos on youtube trying to figure out what to do so solve this issue.  no doubt for a network engineer it is a simple thing, but i don't understand all the technology and lingo sufficiently to always understand the solutions being suggested in the videos i watch.

Options
2023-07-12 16:47:53 - last edited 2023-07-12 16:51:23

@sjhb 

Yes, 100m is on the hairy edge of the spec for ethernet, but should work. 

Did you do your own connector crimps...if so, you might just want to redo those and see if that makes a difference. Honestly it sounds like a connector problem.

As I recall the 110 is passive 24V POE only, but it doesn't sound like power is the problem, just the quality of the ethernet signal.  Did you use shielded cable and/or direct burial grade (ie gel filled)? 

Worst case you can run 100m of fibre along the same path, and then figure out a solution to power both the AP and the media converter at the far end.  Alternatively you could move the AP a bit closer cable-wise and just use a Repeater at the actual building for better coverage.

If redoing the connectors doesn't help, you could also regenerate the signal as close to the outdoors  (at the house) as possible (ie at the outside wall, break the cable, insert an ethernet switch and inject the power after the ethernet switch towards the 110.  That might shave enough off the cable length to make a difference.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 739

Replies: 11

Related Articles