Accessing main subnet from OpenVPN (different host)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-08 09:08:49
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hello,

My organization has recently bought the ER605 to replace our old router. I've been trying to set up an OpenVPN server so that we could more easily connect to our NAS and some other devices remotely. I've tried using the built-in OpenVPN functionality but it didn't seem to work so I've created a container on another machine to host the OpenVPN. I've successfully managed to connect to the VPN but can't seem to get access to the main subnet. I've tried setting up a static route but either I'm not understanding it correctly (networks aren't my forte) or something is malfunctioning/missing. I would kindly ask for guidance on this since a colleague needs to access a Windows VM via RDP over our VPN.

This is the key info:

Main subnet: 10.16.6.0/24

OpenVPN server host address: 10.16.6.4

OpenVPN subnet: 10.8.0.0/24

The server is a Ubuntu container with IPv4 forwarding enabled.

There are no firewall rules blocking lan-to-lan access.

I've created LAN interfaces for the main and VPN subnets.

I can access any machines via IP directly, but not via their hostnames.

I've added the push "route 10.16.6.0 255.255.255.0" directive to the server.

I'm using TUN.

These are the settings I assumed would be correct:

Destination: 10.16.6.0

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Next Hop: 10.16.6.4

Interface: OVPN

Any help would be greatly appreciated since by trial and error I'd managed to lock myself out of the management UI.

Thanks in advance!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Accessing main subnet from OpenVPN (different host)
2023-03-08 17:50:52

@busyB 

Do you use pivpn? Somethime I have to run pivpn -d to fix somtging after install, then everything work as expected.

Options
Re:Accessing main subnet from OpenVPN (different host)
2023-03-09 08:45:49
No, I'm running a Ubuntu lxc container on Proxmox and have installed openvpn on it using the script from here: https://github.com/angristan/openvpn-install VPN works fine except for accesssing the main subnet.
Options