VLAN through unmanaged switches

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-10 06:33:28
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am setting up a network with an OC200,ER650, TL-SG2008P and 3 EAP650. My current network has several unmanaged switches (TL-SG105 & TL-SG108) that will have computers, Google TV, printers and one of the 3 EAP650 on the other side. I'm going to set up several VLANs, one of which have IoT devices on it and another for guest.  The EAP650s will have a mixture of all devices connecting: my devices, guest devices, WiFi cameras, etc...

Will the VLAN work across the unmanaged switches? I've researched and read quite a lot and have come up with very conflicting answers.... I would really rather not have to replace all my managed switches with managed ones. Any help and thoughts will be appreciated.

Options
2 Reply
Re:VLAN through unmanaged switches
2023-03-10 15:01:36

@slane6 

If theyre "smart" switches... some unmanaged smart switches let you log in and set VLANs.  Some of them are uber dumb switches and you wont be able to do that.

If you trunk the uplink port of the switch above it, then the unmanage switches will take on the trunked vlan subnet.

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
Re:VLAN through unmanaged switches
2023-03-13 04:59:01

Hi @slane6 

Your unmanaged switches (TL-SG105 & TL-SG108) do not support VLAN. 

If you want to enjoy multi-SSID in different VLANs, you will need to connect your EAP to the TL-SG2008P directly. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 251

Replies: 2