BUG: Some WiFi clients not showing in Omada clients list

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-10 14:58:31
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 5.9.9

Hi community.

I've just tried the search engine to find out why some WiFi clients, which are confirmed to be connected to the TP-Link EAPxxx devices, are not listed in the Omada Controller's client list. It looks like this is a commonly reported problem. I made a similar observation in my network installation too. I have 3 EAP225-Outdoor wired connected to the IPS Router. All APs are adapted in my Omada Software Controller. There are around a docent of WiFi clients only.

The problem started after I made a complete restore of the Omada Controller from previous backup. I wondered - why suddenly some clients do not show up in the Omada client list. Restarting of the APs and the Omada Controllers didn't solved the problem.

However, when I only did a restore of just the settings, all clients were listed again.

That's very strange and disappointing. To me it looks like the content of the full backup, or the restoring procedure is causing the problem.

Perhaps this observation will help developers investigate the issue further more.

Cheers

Scalar

Options
11 Reply
Re:BUG: Some WiFi clients not showing in Omada clients list
2023-03-10 15:07:56

@Scalar 

Are you using Omada switches?  Or the APs directly hooked up the IPS Gateway?

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-03-10 15:21:14

@KimcheeGUN  The APs are connected direct to the IPS router via LAN cable.

Options
2023-03-14 18:33:12 - last edited 2023-03-14 18:34:34

Hi community.

The story continue:

Today I updated the Omada software controller to the current version 5.9.31.

Unfortunately the situation hasn't changed and many of the WiFi clients still don't show up in the client list.

Since I had some free time today, I took another look at the problem.

I looked at the entries in the 'Insights' section. However, accessing this section was very laggy. When the content of the known clients was finally listed, I noticed repeated entries for the same client (MAC address). MAC addresses of those clients that no longer appear in the list of connected clients. When I tried to 'forget' the entries I got an error message: 'General Error'. That's very strange. ioannis compet also observed this, as he reported here: Omada 5.x clients not showing.

I discovered that Omada creates two log files: mongod.log and server.log. In server.log I found a lot of ERRORs and java exceptions, just concerning the unlisted clients.

I exchanged the sensitive data with '*'.

The following is a representative of the log entries.
The log file is full of such entries, which are repeated over and over again, with the MAC addresses of the affected clients. This could also be the reason for the delayed listing of 'known clients'.

Unfortunately I was not allowed to post the log-extract in the body of the message as it have been labelled as 'Content or title contains illegal external links.' ?? I guess due to the java exception lines. This forum lacks the ability to post a quell-text.

A file upload also didn't worked for me - I got a message: Failed to upload.

O.K. here we go - the screenshot.

As I wrote in my first post, the problem appeared after a recovery process.
I hope this can help to debug the problem. Maybe someone could pass it on to the developers and hopefully we'll get a bug fix soon.

Cheers

Scalar

Options
2023-03-16 02:58:46

Hello @Scalar 

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID230326652, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-03-16 08:35:34

@Fae Hello Fae. Many thanks for opening a support ticket regarding this issue. I got already an email from support team ... Cheers Scalar

Options
2023-03-20 12:30:39 - last edited 2023-03-20 12:40:11

Wanted to add that I'm facing this same general issue. I did a migration to a new software Omada controller (Windows 11 Pro hosts) over the weekend, both Windows 11 PCs were running 5.9.31. Numerous clients are missing after the migration, where I did a full settings export/import to the new Windows 11 Omada Controller. I followed the steps outlined in the Migration process, so I didn't expect to have any problems. All of my Omada devices were migrated over to the new Controller without any problems or errors. Also, there were no errors reported during the Migration to the new Controller.

There are numerous duplicates showing up in the Insights list, some of the MAC addresses that I've named are no longer named (just MAC address) and I can't forget any of them. A General Error results when clicking the "forget" icon. This definitely seems to be a bug in Omada when migrating from one Controller to another, or from restoring settings. Several Wifi clients are now missing, but are connected to the network and functioning just fine. Also, there are Wired clients missing. I'm using Omada EAPs and Omada Jetstream switches, as well as some 3rd-party "dummy" unmanaged switches on my network. 

Is there a way to "rebuild" the clients or Insights list somehow? Seems there needs to be a reconciliation process of some sort to correct this problem.

Hybrid OPNsense/Omada EAP Cat6 backhaul 4 x EAP670 1 x EAP610-Outdoor Omada Controller v5.14.0.10 Win 11 Router: OPNsense Intel N5105 quad-core I226V 2.5Gbe w/16GB RAM Dual WAN Fios/Spectrum 1Gbps
Options
2023-03-20 13:24:48

@Shoresy Hi Shoresy, thanks to confirming same issue. I have good news smiley  I got this message from Support team: The issue has been located and will be fixed in the subsequent firmware update.

But - there is still work in progress on finding a way to temporarily disable certain feature in the configuration of these clients, which caused these clients not to appear in the 'Client List' due to a bug. In worth case we will have to 'forget' these clients. At the moment we still got the Message 'General Error'.

Cheers

Scalar

Options
2023-03-20 15:40:52 - last edited 2023-03-20 16:34:58

Thanks @Scalar - that is great news!

I'm also hoping they fix some other issues related to the client list/Insights and bandwidth statistics. I've noticed that the bandwidth usage reported on several Wifi and Wired clients is incorrect. For example, I have some Wifi outlets on a guest network. One of those Wifi outlets shows 20GB of upload/download usage over the course of a few weeks in Omada's Insights list. I have used Wireshark and other tools to track this outlet's network usage on a daily basis, and it's more like 100-200Kbytes per day...Omada reports the Outlet using over 1000x the bandwidth compared to what it's actually using. Seems that it's confusing devices with regards to bandwidth monitoring. 

Hybrid OPNsense/Omada EAP Cat6 backhaul 4 x EAP670 1 x EAP610-Outdoor Omada Controller v5.14.0.10 Win 11 Router: OPNsense Intel N5105 quad-core I226V 2.5Gbe w/16GB RAM Dual WAN Fios/Spectrum 1Gbps
Options
2023-03-31 19:03:07 - last edited 2023-03-31 19:05:25

I had to fix this manually. 
I just migrated the omada server from a synology nas to a dedicated linux machine. One of a client was migrated twice, this causes this exception. 
To fix this:
-Connect to mongodb
-select omada/client database
-search the duplicated entry and delete one of them, or just delete everything here
-stop the tpeap and re-start 

Additional info:
-Mongodb is running while the tpeap is running
-Mongodb has no username and password but it is bound to localhost and running on port 27217. If you want to connect from different machine, stop tpeap, navigate to /opt/tplink/EAPController/properties/omada.properties and delete the 127.0.0.1 bind ip and restart the tpeap
-To flush insights data, just truncate each table in omada_data/collections

Options
2023-04-01 12:25:08

@b10up Hi b10up,

thanks for your feedback and the solution for the symptoms. The issue however causing these symptoms is elsewhere and have been already located by the developer team. Hopefully it will be fixed in the subsequent firmware update.

Cheers

Scalar

Options