Dual WAN issues on ER605 V2

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-11 01:24:08
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2

Background

Model Version
ER605 V2 2.1.2
TL-SG2428P 1.1.7
8 x EAP620 HD V2 (US) 1.0.3
2 x EAP620HD V3 (US) 1.0.2
2 x EAP245 V3 5.0.6
OC200 V1 5.7.6

I have 2 VLANs, VLAN ID 1 = Omada devices. VLAN ID 10 = customers.

WAN 1 is connected by PPPoE with a GPON converter. Likewise with WAN 2.

I do not have VPN profile on the system

No port forwarding

A few Switch ACLs to block intervlan traffics to Omada and Router interface from the customers VLAN.

All the devices above are adopted by Omada OC200 5.7.6. I have Dual WAN connected to ER605 V2. Load balance: 1 to 1. 250 up / 250 down on each WAN.

The issue is ER605 becomes unresponsive after the device is booted up with 2 WAN active after 5 minutes into operation. All the APs cannot connect to the internet. Neither can devices connected to LAN (VLAN ID 1)

I have tested this ER605 firmware 2.0.1, 2.1.1, 2.1.2.

- All will not work unless I unplugged the secondary WAN from the ER605.

- The system will require a reboot for it to be functional again.

I thought it was DHCP issues on the router but I can confirm all newly joined devices joined the system received an IP address and connected to Omada system with 0 issue other than no Internet.

What can I do other than disable one of the WAN? Is there an update to mitigate this issue?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Dual WAN issues on ER605 V2
2023-03-13 06:03:58

Hi @YuukiA 

It sounds more like a hardware issue but I can't confirm. I have router in the lab, that works well with two WAN connection for few months. 

Could you please help me check two more things:

1. If you set up a static IP on your PC, can it keep getting stable Internet from the router? Can this PC Ping to the router's LAN IP continuously?

2. On the controller, it will show you the CPU and memory usage of the router. Could you please help me monitor it for like 5 min and check if it will go up to 90% or more?

For example here's a normal working router status page:

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-03-13 06:24:07 - last edited 2023-03-13 06:27:06

Hi  @Hank21 ,

It's due to this issue happening so much.

Here are the thing I have done.

- I bought another router ER7206 V1

- removed 6 EAPs from Omada OC200 adopt

- used an PoE unmanaged switch

- put that second WAN on ER7206 V1.

Too many people hound me to keep the system stable so I have made it 2 different systems to avoid these unresponsive issues.

I have read the logs. They are not very helpful either.

I can dump those logs to the TP-Link Support team. But they haven't replied to me in 48 hours. so RIP me.

1. If you set up a static IP on your PC, can it keep getting stable Internet from the router? Can this PC Ping to the router's LAN IP continuously?

Static IP on my laptop and all the devices in VLAN ID 1. No internet access after a few hours. All the devices are online and active but no internet access from either WAN. It can send traffics between devices between VLAN ID 50 (Local files transfer stuffs). But Omada cloud cannot reach OC200 because it didn't connect to the Internet. When I check it on Local connection, same thing. It refuses to gives internet connection.

2. On the controller, it will show you the CPU and memory usage of the router. Could you please help me monitor it for like 5 min and check if it will go up to 90% or more?

I still have all the old logs. I remember the CPU never reached over 40% ultization. Memory was around 5-20% under load of 50-80 client devices. It happens more than a week. I could post a longer range of time if you need.

CPU and Memory usage on that day

I'm not truly sure it's the Dual WAN or the DHCP requests from clients that sort of made ER605 V2 unresponsive.

Thanks for trying to help me.

EDIT: Typos and extra information added.

Options
2023-03-13 06:33:06

Hi @YuukiA 

If the router can still send traffics between devices between VLANs when the issue happens, it could be related to the WAN connection. 

On the Log can you see any thing like "xxxx WAN down”?

Are you able to Ping 8.8.8.8 when the issue happens? Try modify the DHCP DNS to 8.8.8.8 that may solve the issue. 

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-03-13 06:58:42 - last edited 2023-03-13 07:12:34

@Hank21 

"xxx WAN down" never showed up.

I can still ping 8.8.8.8 -t . I never changed the DNS address. It came with default from the ISP.

I happen to have the ISP app to check if the line is active and its public address. It was on the entire time during that day as well.

I also checked the tab where ER605 V2 shows the WAN and WAN/LAN1. They both showed Online. But very few traffic were going through for those unresponsive time.

Only a full reboot on ER605 V2 resolves the issues. Which is downtime and my customers hate me for it.

Dual WAN basically works until they don't. Back when it was just 1 WAN with 8 EAPs, the system devices were active for 60 days no issue.

Options
2023-03-23 05:37:49

@YuukiA hi, i've also observed this same behavior on a dual-wan config with a cable modem and cellular backup device. The only way I've been able to keep traffic passing is to disconnect the backup device.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 692

Replies: 5

Related Articles