Unable to import or export DHCP client address list

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-15 03:10:10 - last edited 2023-03-16 08:30:15
Tags: #DHCP Service #WAN Setup #Europe / EU / NL
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: ER605v2_un_2.1.2_20230210-rel62992_up_2023-02-10_17.32.06

Unable to import or export DHCP client reservations

Hardware Version: ER605 v2.0

Firmware Version: 2.1.2 Build 20230210 Rel.62992

Hi everyone,

I have issues not being able to import or export DHCP address list from the DHCP  address reservation.

When I have my list added manually in the router (stand-alone) I cannot export it to CSV.

It only puts out a generic SAMPLE file like this example below.

I looked at the sample file and created my own csv from it several csv formats like UTF-8, MS-DOS, General and Mac.

They are all unsuccessful when importing, even modifying the sample in the file itself is unsuccessful when trying to import it.

1. When I have added several Reservations manually in the GUI it looks like this

2. When I do export it looks like this

3. This is my manually created address list, the mac has been replaced for obvious reasons in this post.

4. When I import it looks like this

I'm from NL, Europe but the business support sucks big time and I need this to work asap or I will be returning this product.

I wanted this to be a cost-effective replacement for my pFsense setups at several sites but at this rate I have my doubts about that now.

I was told to buy the business line because of the support, hence I don't feel the love yet.

Regards,

Dorito.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Unable to import or export DHCP client address list-Solution
2023-03-15 10:53:40 - last edited 2024-02-10 03:49:17

Hi @Dorito 

1. The router Export button can only provide you a template in csv format, it's designed to be like that;

2. For the MAC address import issue, could you please help me check the error message?

Move the mouse to the question mark you will see the error message. For example:

It seems you were using AA-AA-AA-AA-AA-AA  as the test MAC address. Our router can not accept this address when you use Import function, please try a differnet MAC address, and don't use the same MAC for multi entries;

Also you may need to confirm you did not change the csv file format when you save it. 

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-03-16 07:32:23 - last edited 2023-03-16 08:30:15

@Hank21 

Hi there,

Thanks for your response,

I consider this very helpful as it led me to the solution.

If you read my post at point 3 I clearly stated that for this post I replace my real MAC's for obvious reasons (like security). Ofcourse my import attempt has real MAC addresses in it.wink

As for the double IP assignment that is not uncommon for instance with webcams connected wired or wireless you want them to be the same in a small setup so you don't have the recorder record empty tracks if wireless fails over to wired or vice versa.

I went back and read into the format of the file content as you suggested.

Checking the syntax solved the issue.

• The word LAN seems to be case sensitive, opposed to A or a in the MAC address.
  • Column seperator ';' opposed to ',' is not accepted

Room for improvement:

1. Make the LAN name option case insensitive.
  2. Accept ';' as a seperator.
  3. Most of all Make the DHCP client list exportable.
  4. Allow double ip assignment for different MAC's (if the IP is already in use DHCP will take care of that issue by denying the use to another client).
  5. Do not name the option 'export' if it doesn't export. (rtfm) When I clicked the questiomark it explained it outputs a sample but I I see a table and it has an export option I expect it to be exported right?
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Unable to import or export DHCP client address list
2023-03-15 05:25:04

@Dorito It could be a permissions or networking issue if you are unable to import or export the DHCP client address list. You need to make sure the correct ports are open in your firewall to allow for inter-system communication. The server's current DHCP settings may also require modification.

Options
2023-03-15 10:53:40 - last edited 2024-02-10 03:49:17

Hi @Dorito 

1. The router Export button can only provide you a template in csv format, it's designed to be like that;

2. For the MAC address import issue, could you please help me check the error message?

Move the mouse to the question mark you will see the error message. For example:

It seems you were using AA-AA-AA-AA-AA-AA  as the test MAC address. Our router can not accept this address when you use Import function, please try a differnet MAC address, and don't use the same MAC for multi entries;

Also you may need to confirm you did not change the csv file format when you save it. 

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Unable to import or export DHCP client address list
2023-03-16 06:04:29

@PhilipMatrix

Hello thanks for your quick response.

1. I don't think it's a firewall issue because I'm connected directly to the router itself.

PC -> Ethernet -> LAN port ER605.

The WAN of the ER605 is connected to my current LAN 192.168.0.x/24 so I have internet access.

2. Why do you think the current DHCP needs to be modified? I chose the 192.168.10.x/24 for inside interfaces.

Everything is /24 and even with 192.168.1.x/24 out-of-the box the issue appears.

In my explanation I stated that I first added addresses manually and when the export function was used it only showed some kind of sample output I fail to see where that can be a permission issue, but please correct me if i'm wrong i'm still new to this product and it's features.

Thanks in advance.

Options
2023-03-16 07:32:23 - last edited 2023-03-16 08:30:15

@Hank21 

Hi there,

Thanks for your response,

I consider this very helpful as it led me to the solution.

If you read my post at point 3 I clearly stated that for this post I replace my real MAC's for obvious reasons (like security). Ofcourse my import attempt has real MAC addresses in it.wink

As for the double IP assignment that is not uncommon for instance with webcams connected wired or wireless you want them to be the same in a small setup so you don't have the recorder record empty tracks if wireless fails over to wired or vice versa.

I went back and read into the format of the file content as you suggested.

Checking the syntax solved the issue.

• The word LAN seems to be case sensitive, opposed to A or a in the MAC address.
  • Column seperator ';' opposed to ',' is not accepted

Room for improvement:

1. Make the LAN name option case insensitive.
  2. Accept ';' as a seperator.
  3. Most of all Make the DHCP client list exportable.
  4. Allow double ip assignment for different MAC's (if the IP is already in use DHCP will take care of that issue by denying the use to another client).
  5. Do not name the option 'export' if it doesn't export. (rtfm) When I clicked the questiomark it explained it outputs a sample but I I see a table and it has an export option I expect it to be exported right?
Recommended Solution
Options