Thoughts On My Network Setup For Roaming With The Same SSID

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-12 01:34:39
Model: EAP235-Wall  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 3.1.0

I'm looking for some general advice on my network setup.

My main goal is to have a seamless WiFi experience when roaming between my garage and the house. So if for example I'm on the phone via WiFi I won't get a dropped call or bad signal due to walking across my property. 

I drew a diagram and actually put together a video to explain the network setup while also showing some photos of my property so I can get the best advice on this setup.

See the video here

(Recommend watching on 1.75x speed)

See the diagram here:

0109d192bc0b41f9bf6418926f6f9bda

My current plan:

I was going to get the Oc 200 controller to connect both the EAP 235 Wall units, enable roaming which would eliminate the need there for the unique SSID's.

Next I was going to add a ceiling unit (undecided) into the center of the garage (connected from the 4 Port switch under main garage, I'd connect a PoE injector most likely)

Then I am unsure if I need to replace the Nighthawk with another Tp-Link EAP device or at minimum eliminate the Tenda Mesh devices and add another Tp-Link device into my upstairs somehow. 

Thoughts? What would you do if this was your property? 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Thoughts On My Network Setup For Roaming With The Same SSID
2023-04-12 12:46:25

@Aehs01 

The 1st thing you gotta do is make sure you have enough over lapping signal.  

Go ahead and download Acrylic Wi-Fi Analyzer on your laptop.  Configure 1 AP.  Place it where you were planning.  Then walk with you laptop until you're at -60 or -65 on the 2.4 GHz.  That's when you place another AP.  Move the test AP to that spot and then repeat the same process.  

Making sure you have enough over lapping signal is the key.

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
Re:Thoughts On My Network Setup For Roaming With The Same SSID
2023-04-12 13:35:03

@KimcheeGUN 

KimcheeGUN wrote

@Aehs01 

The 1st thing you gotta do is make sure you have enough over lapping signal.  

Go ahead and download Acrylic Wi-Fi Analyzer on your laptop.  Configure 1 AP.  Place it where you were planning.  Then walk with you laptop until you're at -60 or -65 on the 2.4 GHz.  That's when you place another AP.  Move the test AP to that spot and then repeat the same process.  

Making sure you have enough over lapping signal is the key.

Sounds good, thanks. 

I think for now my plan to start is I got the OC200 hardware controller and I also picked up a EAP 670.

I'll be putting that in the center of the garage itself.

Just a matter of testing between that one and the house and likely adding another in the upstairs of the house. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 562

Replies: 2

Related Articles