A person is getting into my router, how do I stop that?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-14 00:31:02 - last edited a week ago
Model: Archer C20  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 4.17 v0001.0 Build 200915 Rel.56357n(4553)

Hello with everyone in this community, I have a quick question, I rent a place and the owner gives me internet thru a wire, so thing is that my IP it is 192.168.0.1 but the main thing is that he is 192.168.1.1 (and so) I noticed this guy is getting into my router, because he is blocking me off from internet, question is if there is a way to stop that? Because when I rent this place I got the internet in my name but we put it in his place because it was Covid and they did not want to get in to the house so, this guy keeps blocking me on and on and on... and I know that because when I call to the ISP they restart the router and suddenly it is normal again, I got and antivirus and a VPN, it seems it is working for now on, but because the main router is in his living room and he is "sharing the internet with me" I think he will continue doing this, I just wanna know if there is a way I can do so, I did everything the ISP service client told me to do so, and it is working so far, soooo if any of you guys can help me out with an advice? That would be great... 

Check number 14

Options
10 Reply
Re:A person is getting into my router, how do I stop that?
2023-04-14 00:33:17

sorry but what does number 14 and the rest means? 

Thank you very much...

Options
2023-04-14 17:37:13 - last edited 2023-04-14 17:37:36

@bUrNaDdIcT 

Hi,

Can you please share a bit more details about how the whole network is set up?

I understand the ISP's broadband Internet connection is on the premises of the owner.

So, is this "main router" in the owners living room hooked up to the broadband connection and from that main router goes a wire over to your place to which you have connected your Archer C20 router?

In case that is how it's setup, then who has control over that "main router" (i.e. who has the admin password for it)?

Options
2023-04-14 17:48:19

@woozle yesss, first of all thank you for replying back and yesss again, the router is in his living room and the password and everything and the access... so when I notice I've been blocked because it is under my name I call the company and they RESTART the main router to default, so that is when I get internet back again and I ask him not to do so but freaking idiot says he is not but ISP told me, check numbers 14 (192.168.1.XX) this numbers are main router so if he says no, that´s a lie because you can see it there and also I got an antivirus and I saw it there too...

Check the number 192.168.192 ... ISP told me mine are like my router 192.168.0.XX so that's him trying to getting into my router but VPN and antivirus are doing its job as it's supposed to... it is really annoying when the service is actually under my name and he is blocking me off and sometimes I need to work and GONE! I am out, ISP advice to get this services you know, like antivirus and VPN and I really don't know a clue about it so, I've been doing some research in youtube... 

Options
2023-04-14 18:11:46

@bUrNaDdIcT 

Ok. If the "owner" has full access to the main router, then of course he would be able to control your Internet connection as he pleases. 

What type of router is this main router? I mean, is it an ADSL/VDSL router, cable modem router or optical fiber router that needs to be connected to the broadband socket via a specialized cable and thus prevents you from moving the main router over to your own place?

Options
2023-04-14 19:09:07

@woozle the second one... ok, now I am learning the he has and still have full access to the internet connection, but my question is if there is a way to keep him away of my router? I mean to avoid that "blockage" thing he is doing? I mean it is simple as closing the router back port and that's it but that would be so obvious! That is why he prefers doing the other thing, which is getting into my router and blocking me off from the internet... 

Options
2023-04-14 20:43:48

@bUrNaDdIcT 

If the Archer C20 is at your own place and the other guy doesn't have the password for it, then he cannot get into your C20 router. If in doubt, then change the C20's password again.

Is there no working cable TV socket at your own place where you could connect the cable modem main router?

Options
2023-04-14 21:01:04

@woozle my router Archer is in my room, and it is wired, and there is no way the owner has the password for this router and yes there is cable from thevmain router to my room, that is why he is 192.168.1.0 and I am 192.162.0.1 because this is a secondary router...

Options
2023-04-14 21:39:52

@bUrNaDdIcT 

I actually meant to ask if it is possible to move the main router over to your place, so that the other guy can't mess around with it?

Options
2023-04-15 05:16:54 - last edited 2023-04-15 06:10:58

reset it to the factory settings after configuring it and then put whatever password you want and it should no longer have access,pay attention that this owner does not have access to the router, otherwise he will know your password

Options
2023-05-01 22:04:14

@LordBeerus by the way, I did fix the problem and it is bigger than you think but I don´t know how to send a video because it is a lot of information and it is kinda... if there is no other way I will do it thru this page but day by day... AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP... I got internet connection now and he cannot kick me out xD! But what he did it is maybe a crime, I wish I was a hacker but I am just learning how to protect my router so far O_o... 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 661

Replies: 10

Related Articles