lost my controller docker and with new setup all devices are 'managed by others'

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

lost my controller docker and with new setup all devices are 'managed by others'

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-14 18:14:32 - last edited 2023-04-15 15:25:21
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So after a power outage, it seems my docker which contained the controller has disappeard. I just moved from another instance and could spin this new one up with the backup from the previous controller.

Now i try to do the same with same backup, but the devices show up as  'managed by others'. 

I'm bit cautious now and wonder what i could do best to get all devices back into the new docker controller.

does 'adopt', reset all devices and lose current configs? or would it apply the proper configs from the backup?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:lost my controller docker and with new setup all devices are 'managed by others'-Solution
2023-04-14 20:12:12 - last edited 2023-04-15 15:25:34

@sandersomething 

Those backups are not 100% backups.  When you spin up a new controller, you are starting with a new CID and I am pretty sure the new controller changes the device admin account credentials too.

In your case, ie where you had Grandpa's backup which you restored to Father and which worked great until the power failure, you will find that when you spin up Son and try to restore from Grandfather's backup it will no longer manage the devices that Father used to (you get the managed by others message).  However, at least Son will have the network config (WAN, LANs, ACLs etc etc) already built, but you will have to go around and factory default and then re-adopt all your devices if you don't have a backup and are not able to bring the controller back to life (my guess is the database was corrupted by the power failure and now the Controller is stuck in a reboot cycle).

Hey, TPlink, if you are listening, it might be an idea to store the device accounts in a more robust way, like a separate database file that can still be loaded, even if the primary is corrupted.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:lost my controller docker and with new setup all devices are 'managed by others'-Solution
2023-04-15 13:01:38 - last edited 2023-04-15 15:25:21

@sandersomething 

sandersomething wrote

@d0ugmac1 

But if in have the device passwords, i can just adopt and controller will do the y right config ...right ?

That will work.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
2023-04-14 20:12:12 - last edited 2023-04-15 15:25:34

@sandersomething 

Those backups are not 100% backups.  When you spin up a new controller, you are starting with a new CID and I am pretty sure the new controller changes the device admin account credentials too.

In your case, ie where you had Grandpa's backup which you restored to Father and which worked great until the power failure, you will find that when you spin up Son and try to restore from Grandfather's backup it will no longer manage the devices that Father used to (you get the managed by others message).  However, at least Son will have the network config (WAN, LANs, ACLs etc etc) already built, but you will have to go around and factory default and then re-adopt all your devices if you don't have a backup and are not able to bring the controller back to life (my guess is the database was corrupted by the power failure and now the Controller is stuck in a reboot cycle).

Hey, TPlink, if you are listening, it might be an idea to store the device accounts in a more robust way, like a separate database file that can still be loaded, even if the primary is corrupted.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:lost my controller docker and with new setup all devices are 'managed by others'
2023-04-15 10:32:38

@d0ugmac1 

But if in have the device passwords, i can just adopt and controller will do the y right config ...right ?

Options
2023-04-15 13:01:38 - last edited 2023-04-15 15:25:21

@sandersomething 

sandersomething wrote

@d0ugmac1 

That will work.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:lost my controller docker and with new setup all devices are 'managed by others'
2023-04-15 15:36:02
it kinda makes sense, but the devices didnt change. so still bit confused that father was fine, and son no longer. Adopting devices in progress and so far only a small internet connection hiccup. (anyone care to explain that btw, an adoption of the er7204 makes internet unavailable for a minute or so)
Options
2023-04-15 21:07:19
When the router is re-adopted it gets reprovisioned...and even though the provision should be identical, it still causes a minute or two of downtime. This normal but unfortunate. Same happens with a firmware update.
Options