Omada SDN 5.9.32 beta and OpenVPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-17 16:16:15
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Guys, who can tell what mean "full mode for OpenVPN" in release 5.9.32, where we can find detail changes in business software?

+20y experience in Linux/UNIX, +12y VMware, +10y as network admin, +8y as AIX admin (professional) I really know what is going on at background, please don't try to cheat me TP-Link :)
Options
6 Reply
Re:Omada SDN 5.9.32 beta and OpenVPN
2023-04-17 19:49:02

@DREEMus 

In short the OpenVPN at present can only give you local only access (no internet), this Full Mode introduces the ability to use the internet over the VPN

More details here if you need

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/247600

Options
2023-04-17 20:16:46

@Philbert 

Thx to provide a link. I red this topic and instructions from TP-Link how to set-up Gateway (router) with Omada SDN, but there is missing one thing.

When OpenVPN push routes to clients, Omada ignore them and i have likited access to my LAN behind VPN. And most funny part, i can't add missing routes because Omada are not aware about OpenVPN interface (which i can understand, because during reboot new order of tunnels may occur).

This is why i ask what (for TP-Link developers) mean "full mode"?

+20y experience in Linux/UNIX, +12y VMware, +10y as network admin, +8y as AIX admin (professional) I really know what is going on at background, please don't try to cheat me TP-Link :)
Options
2023-04-19 02:21:47

Hello @DREEMus,

I'm afraid that the Omada controller doesn't support showing the logs related to OpenVPN at present.

DREEMus wrote

When OpenVPN push routes to clients, Omada ignore them and i have likited access to my LAN behind VPN. And most funny part, i can't add missing routes because Omada are not aware about OpenVPN interface (which i can understand, because during reboot new order of tunnels may occur).

Could you take an example to explain your requirement or the question?

May I know what you mean "When OpenVPN push routes to clients, Omada ignore them"?

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-04-19 05:59:11

@Hank21 

Yes, let me explain.

Home: 192.168.10.0/24

VPN: 192.168.12.0/24

Office: 192.168.14.0/24

With your implementation of OpenVPN if we manage routing with server (pushing it to clients from server side) Omada ignore them and add only VPN network to routing table.

In my case OpenVPN client implementation in Omada is useful, because to access Office network i need to have another device and (add static route to them).

That is why i ask, what mean "full mode"?

There is any method to see what Omada do and what not during establishing VPN tunnel?

PS. There is 2 methods to manage routing in OpenVPN,

• first (easy) push routing from server to client,
  • second in config file (but here you have to change config every time when routing change, so time consuming case)
Options
2023-04-19 07:29:44

Hello @DREEMus

The Local Network you fill in when setting up the router as a OpenVPN server is the route push, which tells the client which network segment to use when accessing the VPN

That is what you mean" first (easy) push routing from server to client".

As for the "Full mode", in my opinion, it means the proxy accessing internet, Full tunneling uses the VPN for all your traffic (but it also depends on the Local Network you choose), whereas split tunneling sends part of your traffic through a VPN and part of it through the open network.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-04-19 07:59:01

@Hank21 

So there's issue with pushing routes from server to Omada OpenVPN client.

Can you confirm this with developers?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 793

Replies: 6

Related Articles