ER605 OpenVPN client does not accept my NOIP domaine name and wants IP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-23 15:25:33 - last edited 2023-04-24 19:44:26
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: ER605v2_un_2.1.2_20230210 Rel.62992

Hi TP-link 

I have purchased 2 pieces of ER605 v2 because I need to setup an OpenVpn tunnel between a remote location connected to a Huawei 4G router using CGNAT.
I use a secondary GSM switch to switch on power to the Huawei and ER605 and remote controlled radio equipment. 

The remote ER605 is configured as OpenVpn client and my home network is equipped with a cablemodem in bridge mode and then the other ER605, running in OpenVpn server mode (working fine when tested with OpenVpn on iphone).
Because I have dynamic address on my cable modem , the Home ER605 is configured with a NOIP address (that works fine).

Now the TP-link problem:

The OpenVPN client in the ER605 only accepts an IP address in the "remote server" field.....!!
How can I set it up to point to my NOIP domaine name.

I really hope there is a way .... else I've just waisted 150$ for nothing....

best regards MIchael

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER605 OpenVPN client does not accept my NOIP domaine name and wants IP -Solution
2023-04-24 19:18:48 - last edited 2023-04-24 20:50:49

@RemoteTRX 

Okay, there should be 4 IP subnets in play.  Local LAN, Remote LAN, Tunnel Endpoints and Client IP pool.  None of them can be the same subnet.

Let's start at your Local site, the Remote LAN is the Remote Subnet, and vice-versa at the remote end the Local LAN is the Remote Subnet (you are telling the routers which subnets can be found across the tunnel).  The client IP pool can be any subnet other than what you've used for Local and Remote LANs, because those IP's will stay within the routers so you'll never see them used by a client device.

Are we good so far?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:ER605 OpenVPN client does not accept my NOIP domaine name and wants IP
2023-04-23 18:15:58

@RemoteTRX 

Just use L2TP/IPsec between the ER605's, it's been working fine for me for over a year.  Same setup: server at the cable end, client at the CGNAT end, but it will take a hostname instead of an IP.  As a bonus, you'll get twice as much throughput:

this is for the ER605V2 and downloaded from: https://www.tp-link.com/us/compare/?type=smb&typeId=5749&productIds=54877%2C45943

Yes, you can keep your OpenVPN setup for the mobile devices...

Options
2023-04-23 19:57:34

hi @d0ugmac1 

Thank you for getting back.

I am just coming to the same conclusion right now, as I've set up an L2TP server one of the ER605 and foud out that my Huawei B535-232 4G router actually has a L2TP client built in....

I was not aware OpenVpn was so heavy on the troughput. 

If I can get L2TP to work, then I have achieved my goal ... but I am still struggling with the lan IP ranges on the two sides.... But if you got it to work, so must I .... hopefully. :-)

/Michael

Options
2023-04-23 20:10:46

@RemoteTRX 

If it helps, here's my SERVER settings

and the CLIENT end

Options
2023-04-24 13:53:48

@RemoteTRX just an interesting data point...shocking...just 10%

Options
2023-04-24 18:45:23

Hi  @d0ugmac1 

It is an amazing difference... I for sure need the one with the lowest latency, as the setup will controlling my remote ham radio station.

I am struggling to get my two ER605 give me connection in both directions.

I've set up L2TP server on my home ER605 sitting behind a bridged cable modem. 
The remote ER605 is sitting behind a Huawei B535-323 4G router set in bridge mode. An L2TP client is set on the ER605.

The tunnel list showns the tunnel as running.

From a PC connected to the remote ER605, I can ping stuff on my home-LAN .
But from my home-LAN, I can't ping the PC on the remote-LAN on the remote ER605.

I am sure it is because I don't understand all these different  IP ranges to be set in Server. 
I would expect that the components connected to my home ER605 get addresses from the home DHCP, and the the components connected to the remote ER605 get their address from the DHCP of the remote ER605...??
I am sure there is a simple explanation to with I can only see from client LAN to server LAN and not the other way around.... but I can't figure it out.

By the way, I am using the local GUI on the ER605s to set them up and not the controller software, which looks rather different and uses different terminology.

/MIchael

Options
Re:ER605 OpenVPN client does not accept my NOIP domaine name and wants IP -Solution
2023-04-24 19:18:48 - last edited 2023-04-24 20:50:49

@RemoteTRX 

Okay, there should be 4 IP subnets in play.  Local LAN, Remote LAN, Tunnel Endpoints and Client IP pool.  None of them can be the same subnet.

Let's start at your Local site, the Remote LAN is the Remote Subnet, and vice-versa at the remote end the Local LAN is the Remote Subnet (you are telling the routers which subnets can be found across the tunnel).  The client IP pool can be any subnet other than what you've used for Local and Remote LANs, because those IP's will stay within the routers so you'll never see them used by a client device.

Are we good so far?

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-04-24 19:44:16

HI @d0ugmac1 

That "idiot" explanation helped. !

Now I can ping both ways. I was the internal addresses that confused me and I could find the a hint anywhere.

So thanks a million, you saved my evening (in Copenhagen, Denmark).👍👍💪

/Michael

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 431

Replies: 7

Tags