Can't get Wireguard VPN server working on ER605 v2

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can't get Wireguard VPN server working on ER605 v2

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
18 Reply
Re:Can't get Wireguard VPN server working on ER605 v2
2023-06-20 17:43:53

@crembz which video?

Options
2023-06-20 19:16:47
I have the same problem. Local lan:192.168.0.0/24 Wireguard: 10.6.0.0/24 Running wireguard on Raspberry PI4 no problem. At the ER605V2 there is a connection, but I can't ping to neither 192.168.0.1 or 10.6.0.1. No mention in the routing table for the wireguard tunnel.
Options
2023-06-23 19:08:46

@louisvangeldrop 

I managed to fix it by using 192.168.0.2 as the Wireguard Local IP address instead of 10.6.0.1in the Wireguard tab. In the Peers tab I use 10.6.0.2/32 etc as the Allowed address for the peers. The reason that routing was not working was that I also had a Raspberry Pi4 with wireguard installed using the same Allowed Address 10.6.0.1/32  I changed that in 20.6.0.1/32 and tje local routing worked. for my configuration 

Options
2023-07-20 19:25:18

I tried this thread but couldnt get it to work -- this one did though!! 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/613742?replyId=1222646

Options
2023-08-18 16:49:33

@crembz 

I had the exact same issue.

Once i deleted the VLAN, it started working!

But the problem is that from the client side (my windows machine) I can only access nodes within the default VLAN (1).

But I need to be able to access nodes with in my vlans. Any ideas?

Options
2023-09-08 19:14:14 - last edited 2023-09-08 19:14:34

I managed to get this working, however it's so difficult setting this up all manually...

I had (have) a little Mango (gl. inet) before this since ER605 did not have wireguard when I got it, the Mango unit makes it super easy to set up Wireguard profiles, it's a one click automated process, prepopulates everything and offers a barcode and/or the actual text one can save to a file and import into the wireguard client app. Takes 5 seconds.

Why can't this unit have the same thing I understand they are both based on openWRT, no? Why not bring this wizard to the ER605 as well.

As a matter of fact I'm still using the mango for the Wireguard VPN server just because it's so simple to set up profiles, although not powerful, enough when I'm away

Options
2023-09-11 07:43:14

Hi @words 

words wrote

I managed to get this working, however it's so difficult setting this up all manually...

I had (have) a little Mango (gl. inet) before this since ER605 did not have wireguard when I got it, the Mango unit makes it super easy to set up Wireguard profiles, it's a one click automated process, prepopulates everything and offers a barcode and/or the actual text one can save to a file and import into the wireguard client app. Takes 5 seconds.

Why can't this unit have the same thing I understand they are both based on openWRT, no? Why not bring this wizard to the ER605 as well.

As a matter of fact I'm still using the mango for the Wireguard VPN server just because it's so simple to set up profiles, although not powerful, enough when I'm away

If you take a look at the WG official guide, the setup is not as easy as OpenVPN. When fiddling with the parameters, it is very easy to get lost as there is no such a server/client in WireGuard. To be honest, WG requires basic network knowledge and an understanding of routing. And you have to keep a clear mind understanding the basic parameters.

If you dig in the WG guide, this is also the reason why it is faster than OVPN. It ditches the unnecessary stuff and falls to the most basic parameters and config. If not necessary, it does not add it to the protocol.

We don't bring unnecessary features to the device due to the limitation of memory and space. Setup wizard, to be honest, isn't quite helpful if you still have trouble understanding how WG works. WG requires a basic reading on configuration and an understanding of how it works. It might be helpful for your scenario, but from our perspective, if the product targets users who are familiar with networking, then it only makes the firmware bloated. If you take a look at the VPNs we support, we never set up a Wizard for it. Same for many other brands.

And OpenWRT or any open-source software is currently not under our consideration.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-09-11 12:55:43

I appreciate the response. It looks like I am not the only one that had trouble configuring the WG VPN server to get it working though, so my comment may apply to others beside me, even more familiar than me with networking (I'm no expert). If you have to create 10+ WG VPN users manually, the existing process leaves a lot of room for human error, something which a configuration wizard could address - that's all :)

Cheers!

Options