Is mesh stable?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Is mesh stable?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Is mesh stable?
Is mesh stable?
2023-05-09 19:34:03
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Do eap 225 can work stable with mesh? Or i will have lags?

In my situation mesh is the only solution because  aps can not go wired.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Is mesh stable?
2023-05-09 23:00:30

@dbSoft 

Thats a VERY hard question to answer if honest

YES the EAP225 can work stable in a Mesh, used it a few times and generally it works well.   However Lag, well that is dependent on what you expect from it

As you are adding an additional hop, then yes the latency will be higher and one would expect more dropped / error packets, this is likely fine for most things but online gaming or anything ping specific will be slower..

Options
Re:Is mesh stable?
2023-05-10 16:37:52

@dbSoft As above.  Latency increases with each wireless hop as do packet retransmits/losses.

You can also fine tune it a little, the biggest thing you can do is keep clients OFF the 5.8G radios that form the backbone of your mesh.  Every 5.8G client upstream competes equally on the local AP for airtime, but EVERY downstream user is muxed together and they as a group have to compete for those same timeslots with individual upstream users. You can imagine the mess of 30 3rd hop users, linking to a 2nd hop AP with 30 local users which then links to a wired node with 30 local users. 

In my mesh setup the first hop links (trunk) have no user SSIDs configured in the 5G band, but I allow that for the downstream leaf nodes.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 256

Replies: 2

Related Articles