AP v Router mode features

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-13 07:38:54
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello

i have X60, m5 and m4 in my instalation

i dont want to setup as router but would like to have the router options on the interface. since all my devices are connected by cable to main operator router  (and i cannot change operator router option), i would like to be able to change DNS and have safety option provided when in router mode....

why arent more options available in AP mode on our MESH? i just keep my operator router mainly as a switch where i connect all my Decos by cable

Options
1 Reply
Re:AP v Router mode features
2023-05-14 19:37:52

@Marcelo77 

The short answer is that most of the features that are disabled in AP mode require the device in router mode to work.   When you switch out of router mode, you are telling Deco to allow the other devices (ISP Router for example) to do the main router functions.    

For example the Parental controls - in Router mode the main deco (central node) filters the traffic coming and going from the web as everything has to go via it to the internet, therefore you can apply parental controls on that one connection.  In AP mode, the same Deco node is just one of x number of Deco devices and therefore there is no central point to control the traffic to the WAN, as this is now done by your ISP router it wont take orders from the Deco.

The only way to do this is in Router mode, from a technical point of view, it makes perfect sense

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 247

Replies: 1

Related Articles