Issue with 2 x EAP115 AP's - one auto connects the other does not ??

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-17 07:25:48
Model: EAP115  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: EAP115v4_5.0.5_[20220427-rel42838]_up_signed

I am having an issue with my home network, where i have a main router, connected to the internet and 2 x TPlink EAP115 AP's. Both AP's are connected via LAN cable. One is situated in the passage and the 2nd in the garage I have now also made sure they both on the same firmware & channel, even tried having each EAP on a different channels and both already have the same SSID and password. What makes it strange is that if i go from my one side of the house when connected to the main router, and I walk down past the 1st EAP115, my connection drops for a second or 2 and then connects to the 1st EAP115. I have checked that with WiFi signal monitoring software, so i can see the Mac address change of the connection,  yet when I walk to where the 2nd EAP115 is, it just drops signal, but never connects to the 2nd  EAP115. The Mac address remains that of the 1st EAP115 AP. I then manually connect to the 2nd EAP, and walk back past the 1st EAP, and it never changes, and walk further to the main room with the main router, and the WiFi checker shows its stuck on the 2nd EAP mac address. So in short it is as if the 2nd AP is isolated as when walking to it , it does not see it, and when walking away from it it does not see the 1st AP either. I can access the 2nd Ap from the main PC which is connected to the main router  - so its definitely connected to my LAN. I am a bit stumped as to why this 2nd AP just never auto connects. I woulkd like to be able to roam the whole house and not drop connection, so If I am on a call, i do not lose the call.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Issue with 2 x EAP115 AP's - one auto connects the other does not ??
2023-05-17 15:31:18

@Selwynas 

The 115's don't support seamless roaming

https://www.tp-link.com/au/business-networking/ceiling-mount-ap/eap115/#specifications 

You may be able to either reduce AP output power, or increase the minimum threshold for RSSI in order to 'force' the mobile device to make a switch.  Sounds like right now, there's almost enough signal from the far AP in the region of the near AP, that the mobile device doesn't feel it should roam, and the AP isn't forcing the issue either.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-05-18 09:17:21

@d0ugmac1 There is a bit of overlap but if i walk to the far end of the garage, then AP 1 is lost, so my theory says - the AP2, which now has the strongest signal, is teh Ap my phone should connect to , but it just does not connect. Then I manually choose it and connects instantly. Really got me baffled. 

Options
2023-05-18 12:38:30 - last edited 2023-05-18 12:40:06

How do you 'manually' choose one AP over another? I just re-read your 1st post and my two comments were covered by your previous work.

Options
2023-05-18 15:09:11

@d0ugmac1 Hi, if I walk from main router room, to the lounge, the signal drops for a second or two, when signal of main router drops, the phone picks up the signal from the 1st AP and connects - almost seamless. If I then walk to the garage, my signal  from 1st AP drops completely, but does NOT connect to 2nd AP. Then I have to go to my settings, wireless options, and the phone shows all available networks. I then have to manually select the garage AP( 2nd AP) and then it connects. It should be noted that the main router and the 2 AP's have the same SSID and password, which should - by my thoughts - connect automatically to the 2nd AP like it does when i walk from main router to lounge

Options
2023-05-18 16:11:32

@Selwynas I would suggest your 3rd party wifi router is at least part of the issue, I have had similar issues before I decommissioned my Asus 68U and replaced it with a matching TPlink AP to my other APs on site.  As a test, try disabling the wifi on the router (or change the SSID temporarily), and leave just the two APs active, retest your roaming.

Options
2023-05-18 16:25:02

@d0ugmac1 Thanks for your advice,  I thought of that, but what changed  my mind, was the fact that the AP that works is the closest to the Asus router and i would have thought that the 1st Ap would give me issues but its the  2nd AP  - furthest away - which has zero signal overlap with the main router. I know this as during load shedding we still pick up a hint of WiFi from the Asus in the lounge - but very weak  signal, so I know there is overlap, which is why i thought that would cause issues with 1st AP. Unless this overlap, and bing on teh same channel - may be assisting in the "seamless" changeover between Asus and TPlink AP. I will try changing the SSID on the Asus and see what happens. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 419

Replies: 6

Related Articles