I just purchased two routers, Neither will connect to the internet.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-21 16:50:56
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Not much to say. The first step of setting these up is connecting to the internet and updating firmware. Nothing special, just a cable modem, no static, just the same modem everyone else in the world uses. Currently have a Linksys router on it that connects fine. I go to setup WAN and it says it fails.

Options
7 Reply
Re:I just purchased two routers, Neither will connect to the internet.
2023-05-21 17:07:51

@Abishop1776 I just switched the router to 192.168.20.1 and the DHCP to 192.168.20.100/199 and weird, I had to manually change my network to 192.168.20.140 to connect back to the router. Why didnt it assign my PC an address?

Options
2023-05-21 17:14:50

@Abishop1776 I restarted the cable modem, let it boot. Then plugged in the first router and it pulled the info. I restarted the computer and it had the DHCP addressed assigned correctly. Everything is working.

Options
2023-05-21 19:53:44

@Abishop1776 

It can be a little awkward when your modem uses the same subnet as the LAN of the TPlink router...ie 192.168.0.X  Your approach in post #2 was correct, and as you noted a power cycle is a good idea after changing a router's subnet.

If you can put your cable modem into bridge mode, that avoids all the issues on the first place, and solves a few you might yet have in the future.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-05-21 20:25:48

@d0ugmac1 Hey, Thanks for the reply!
Question, can I get these two routers to both get internet from this one modem? Everything I'm seeing says no.

I spent all day setting up these two routers. One for my kids and guest wifi. The other one is for all the smart home stuff and my computer and the TV. I can't get them both to connect to the internet though. Only one or the other.

Options
2023-05-22 05:29:38
You dont need 2 routers, and your modem is likely not set up to support two routers anyways. Create 2 or more LANs on one router, one for each class of user. You can then control which port belongs to which subnet, or which SSID, etc. You can apply ACLs etc to further restrict access or behaviour.
Options
2023-05-22 11:16:45

@d0ugmac1 I have to. One, if I don't have DNS set up at the top level the kids will find ways around it, their friends will come over and use the guest wifi and go right around it. Also the biggest reason now is the scheduling does not work. So I'll put this on a smart switch and that's going to be way easier and a surefire way to cut all internet access to the kids at night. I don't see any way to manage kids internet access another way. I had a Linksys that Mac address controls flat out did nothing. Their Iphones they can use HotSpot even when they're on screentime.

Options
2023-05-23 03:54:48

@Abishop1776 

Hah, okay I understand the scope of the problem now.

You still only need one router though, but a managed switch would be a good investment, and having it all under an Omada controller would make your life easier (software or hardware).

Each LAN subnet can have its own custom DNS servers...I do this myself, with a PiHole on the general SSID, and unfiltered DNS on an admin SSID.

The router+switch will allow time based ACLs that work.

I need to think about the Hotspot issue.

You could consider a pirtal/token approach for your guest network and/or also rate limit those clients down to nothing so as to make it unusable for anything but email.  Even pR0n will load too slowly to be of interest.

I still don't see what two routers buys you over one.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 484

Replies: 8

Related Articles