A2300 resets itself and scrambles USB external drive

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-05 14:11:54
Model: Archer A2300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.3 Build 20210705 Rel. 82157

I have an Archer A2300 that's been working for about a year since I got it. I have an external hard drive hooked up to the USB 3.0 port. Twice in the past two weeks, I've tried to access the files on the external drive and found that the drive appeared to be empty - with all of the files missing. Each time I was able to restore the files with recovery software. The first time it happened, I thought it was a bad drive, so I bought a new one and plugged it into the A2300, but now the same thing has happened to the new drive.

Each time this has happened, I tried to log into the web interface of the A2300, and instead of seeing the regular log-in screen, I saw the screen that asks me to set up a username and password for the first time. When I power-cycled the router, it went back to the regular login screen, but the files still were missing on the external drive.

Has anybody else ever seen this or have any thoughts on what's going on?

Thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:A2300 resets itself and scrambles USB external drive
2023-06-06 06:01:56

@kbaah 

Hello, when the external drive became empty, if you unplug it and plug it into USB port of your computer directly, is it still empty?

Please also use the drive with your computer for some time and monitor if it will have similar issue.

Besides, for the A2300 router, you mentioned that the login page will let you create username and password, which looks like the router resets itself to factory defaults, however, a power cycle will solve the login issue, please confirm if your other configurations are still there or lost after power cycle and login again, such as the wireless name, internet settings or any other function.

By the way, since it was working fine before, did you try to reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button for 10s? 

Options
2023-06-06 18:20:58

@Sunshine Hi  This has happened with two external drives, including a brand new one, so I don't think the drives are bad.  When I plug the drives into a computer, they appear empty, but I've been able to use file recovery software to restore the files on them.

All of the configurations remain on the router once I reboot it. In fact, it continues to behave normally and broadcast the correct SSID, even when it goes into the "Create a new username and password" mode  I have not tried a factory-reset.

Options
2023-06-07 08:04:12

@kbaah 

Hello, please try to disable Media Sharing to see if the problem still happens, if so, it is recommended to contact the retailer or contact local support team to check the warranty and get it replaced.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 346

Replies: 3

Related Articles