One Last Question About the EAP620 HD Mounting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-17 21:17:26 - last edited 2023-06-22 22:28:49
Model: EAP620 HD  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Folks,  I'm mostly through with the wiring and installation of access points in the church I've been working on.  I've got two rooms left in which to install access points.

The first is the "fellowship hall".  It's about 30' x 50'.  It has a ceiling that is more than 20 feet high, and beyond cabling issues, it's basically impossible for me to reach the ceiling with the equipment I have.

The second room is the sanctuary, about 40' x 60', and again, the ceiling approaches 30 feet... getting to it is nigh on impossible without expensive equipment rental.

Therefore, in each of these rooms, I'm going to mount the AP on a wall.  For the fellowship hall, it will be about 10 to 12 feet off the ground and in the middle of the 50' wall.  For the sanctuary, the AP will be at least 15 feet off the ground and mounted in the middle of the 40' wall.

Now to the question:  These are ceiling mount devices but TP-Link also supplies wall mount kits as well. I don't care about the signal on the other side of the wall on which these devices will be mounted (handled by other AP's).  Should I simply mount these devices vertically on the wall with the supplied kit or should I use a bracket and mount them horizontally as though they were mounted on the ceiling?  I can't find anything that shows the coverage pattern for the EAP620 HD.

Hope that makes sense.  Thoughts and insights are appreciated.

Retired infrastructure project manager, now being roped into various volunteer projects.
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:One Last Question About the EAP620 HD Mounting-Solution
2023-06-21 13:11:10 - last edited 2023-06-22 22:28:49

@EagleHeart 

Mount them flat to the wall and higher up than not.  The data sheet below refers to an 'included ceiling/wall mount' which I see as license to mount in either orientation.

https://static.tp-link.com/upload/product-overview/2022/202206/20220617/EAP%20Datasheet.pdf 

Datasheet also doesn't say anything about a 15m limitation -- @Virgo  do you have a reference?  The antenna patterns are shown on p.27 of the above, short story is there is more power out the front of the device than the back generally.  In your case it won't matter much, stuff will bounce off those thick walls like you were yelling in a cave.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:One Last Question About the EAP620 HD Mounting
2023-06-20 08:01:46

@EagleHeart 

Hi, the wifi signal mainly focuses on the front-end panel on the EAP, you need to consider if the distance between the ceiling and ground is less than 15m, cuz the EAP indoor device has 15m wifi radius coverage.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:One Last Question About the EAP620 HD Mounting-Solution
2023-06-21 13:11:10 - last edited 2023-06-22 22:28:49

@EagleHeart 

Mount them flat to the wall and higher up than not.  The data sheet below refers to an 'included ceiling/wall mount' which I see as license to mount in either orientation.

https://static.tp-link.com/upload/product-overview/2022/202206/20220617/EAP%20Datasheet.pdf 

Datasheet also doesn't say anything about a 15m limitation -- @Virgo  do you have a reference?  The antenna patterns are shown on p.27 of the above, short story is there is more power out the front of the device than the back generally.  In your case it won't matter much, stuff will bounce off those thick walls like you were yelling in a cave.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 332

Replies: 2

Related Articles