Omada ISP Load Calculation ("Good" is relative)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-26 08:27:35 - last edited 2023-06-27 17:22:17
Tags: #ISP Load
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 5.9.9

Hello,

I have an interesting situation. Suddenly, my internet connection dropped in bandwidth to 3Mbps download based on a workstation speed check.

Looking at the Omada Controller, the ISP Load shows "Good". I re-ran a "Test Speed" and the status still showed "Good"

To me, this indicated an issue with the workstation connection. Only after a while re-powering the site's modem the workstation speed was back to normal.

Now why does the ISP load on the Omada controller show as "Good"?

Configured Bandwitdh: 250 Mps.

Measured Bandwidth: 3 Mbps.

Is this a defect, is something else being measured or is this considered as good?

Thanks and best wishes,

sb0373

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Omada ISP Load Calculation ("Good" is relative)-Solution
2023-06-27 16:51:16 - last edited 2023-06-27 17:20:55

@sb0373 

Good, poor etc in terms of the WAN speed is based on the utilisation vs available capacity at that time.

Say you have 100 down, and you are using 90 down then its likely POOR.   100 down using 10, likely GOOD, its probably based on a percentage based algorithm.

In your scenario, it read 3 down and you where using little / idle so reads GOOD as its <10% utilistaion

Thats how I have interpreted this anyways.. 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Omada ISP Load Calculation ("Good" is relative)
2023-06-27 08:33:37

@sb0373 

As I see, the detection mechanism of ISP Load is based on online detection, Good is not a result of speed but a connection.

So Good means the WAN connection is OK, but it doesn't do with the speed. Maybe, I guess.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:Omada ISP Load Calculation ("Good" is relative)-Solution
2023-06-27 16:51:16 - last edited 2023-06-27 17:20:55

@sb0373 

Good, poor etc in terms of the WAN speed is based on the utilisation vs available capacity at that time.

Say you have 100 down, and you are using 90 down then its likely POOR.   100 down using 10, likely GOOD, its probably based on a percentage based algorithm.

In your scenario, it read 3 down and you where using little / idle so reads GOOD as its <10% utilistaion

Thats how I have interpreted this anyways.. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Omada ISP Load Calculation ("Good" is relative)
2023-06-27 17:20:50 - last edited 2023-06-27 17:21:58

@Philbert, I think you are onto something.

I just set my download speed to 1Mbps and the ISP Load changed to "Medium". The WAN down utilization is around 30%.

Streaming a 4k video from my favourite video platform now put it at 2150% download utilization (cool!). ISP Load: "No Data"

So playing a bit with the download speed settings seem to indicate these Gateway WAN Network Utilisation thresholds:

> 100% = "No Data"

> 60% = "Poor"

>20 = "Medium"

< 20 = "Good"

Thank you for the direction!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 385

Replies: 3

Tags

ISP Load