ER605 - how to automatically renew IPv6 address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-29 09:00:20
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2 Build 20230210 Rel.62992

Hello,

Is there a way to force ER605 to automatically renew IPv6 address per defined interval?

It seems that ISP does something to the IPv6 address every month because about once a month any services or applications on local network that use ER605 as the DHCP server and router stop working until I renew IPv6 address of the ER605. I have to manually go into ER605 and "Renew" IPv6 address then all the services and applications that did not work before the renewal end up working correctly.

I am not sure if this is connected to the fact that IPS also changes IPv4 address of the modem. I use DDNS to update IPv4 address of the modem (not ER605) in order to be able to access ER605 over VPN. Maybe same happens with IPv6 but since ER605 gets its own IPv6 address and it is the router for local network then IPv6 things don't work until IPv6 address is updated.

Any thoughts?

Options
6 Reply
Re:ER605 - how to automatically renew IPv6 address
2023-06-29 14:14:37

@pajtaz 

Interesting.  Probably the easiest way would be to setup a weekly or monthly reboot schedule for your router (3AM on a Sunday?).  There are other very valid reasons for doing this with an ER605 anyways :)

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-06-29 19:00:58

@d0ugmac1 

Reboot is not something I want to do, I specifically got ER605 so it can run "forever" without rebooting. If I reboot, even if in middle of the night, I could lose TV recordings since I have network TV tuner, NAS and Tvheadend which all communicate over ethernet (over ER605).

There is no way to renew IPv6 address every few weeks? Of course I can do it manually but nothing automatically?

Options
2023-06-30 07:41:10

Hello @pajtaz,

pajtaz wrote

It seems that ISP does something to the IPv6 address every month because about once a month any services or applications on local network that use ER605 as the DHCP server and router stop working until I renew IPv6 address of the ER605. I have to manually go into ER605 and "Renew" IPv6 address then all the services and applications that did not work before the renewal end up working correctly.

The router ER605 should update the IPv6 address automatically once your ISP assign a new IP address.

Could you capture the WAN port packets of ER605 when this issue occurs next time?

Here is the detailed steps of the packets capture you may refer to:

1. Reproduce the issue.
2. Please connect a PC with Wireshark to ER605, set the Port Mirroring on the ER605(mirror the port connected to PC to ER605 WAN port).

You can configure it both in Standalone Mode and Controller mode, and please refer to the following steps to configure it in Controller Mode.

Click on the ER605 in Device List, go to Ports in the Details window, and refer to this screenshot:

3. Start capturing, click on Disconnect to release the IP address, and click on Connect to renew the IP.
4. Stop capturing and save the packets file.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-06-30 08:48:50

@Hank21 Thank you. Next time this happens, I will follow these steps. I guess you want me to upload the packets file?

I guess I will be back in a few weeks.

Options
2023-08-15 15:00:42

@Hank21 

Ok, it happened again. Same as before: some things just don't work or get stuck in some sort of a loop. Perfect example is Android banking app suddenly cannot connect to the bank. As soon as I release IPv6 and get a new IPv6 address, it works immediately. It's reproducible.

I did as you suggested, installed Wireshark, monitored the WAN port, released IPv6 and renewed.

Now what do I do with this packets file?

Options
2023-08-16 06:22:55

Hello @pajtaz,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the issue on TP-Link community again!

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID230827843, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 882

Replies: 6

Related Articles