Port X is blocked! Could it be the router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-04 17:31:25 - last edited 2023-07-05 02:21:49
Tags: #Configuration #Router
Model: TL-SG2218  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.8

I have my SG2218 switch connected with a ER707-M2 router and I'm using Omada.

Works fine when I only connect one router port on the switch but when I connect another one then the switch port it's connected to is getting blocked.

Is it because I have two cables going from the router to the switch?

Configuration is default, no vlans.

On Omada:

• Settings -> Wired networks -> LAN -> Networks tab
    • Only have the default LAN interface (it's configured for all the router ports)
  • Settings -> Wired networks -> LAN -> Profile tab
    • Only have the 3 default profiles (only the ALL profile is used for the switch ports)
  • Settings -> Wired networks -> LAN -> Switch Settings tab
    • Every switch port is using the ALL profile

Error message in the log (my SG2218 is named Switch, I know, quite original LOL):

• Switch's port Gi1/0/5 was blocked.

and it keeps outputting this every few seconds...

I suspect a loopback but it should be supported right?, having multiple connections between a router and a switch?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Port X is blocked! Could it be the router?-Solution
2023-07-04 22:55:07 - last edited 2023-07-05 02:21:49

Ok, I've scoured the 'net and it's definitely a loopback problem.

I thought this would be possible and the reason comes from the Omada "Create New LAN" page where all the router ports are listed.

All tutorials I saw always mention having all those ports selected when creating a vlan. I wondered if it would be possible to "segment" physically the lans by only selecting one router port for a VLAN in addition of assigning a profile to switch ports with the same VLAN.

I seems it's not possible or I am not understanding something (or a lot of things LOL).

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-07-06 03:39:53 - last edited 2023-07-06 12:43:09

@MwaItou 

if you want to isolate them, use ACL. 

in this setup, you are using vlan interface. it's communicable. https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/3061/

only when you set up the ACL, do you start to isolate them. vlan interface is a set of functions working together. if you simply want to isolate network by function - 802.1q vlan, refer to other guides like: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2149/

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Port X is blocked! Could it be the router?
2023-07-04 19:51:33
Oh, and the end goal was to have vlans where some of the vlans would be on specific router ports as well as switch ports. Maybe I'm over-complicating things here. Should it be best to have one wire between the router and the switch and have vlans assigned to switch ports instead? Most ports would be for one vlan, except for the ones going to the AP.
Options
2023-07-04 22:55:07 - last edited 2023-07-05 02:21:49

Ok, I've scoured the 'net and it's definitely a loopback problem.

I thought this would be possible and the reason comes from the Omada "Create New LAN" page where all the router ports are listed.

All tutorials I saw always mention having all those ports selected when creating a vlan. I wondered if it would be possible to "segment" physically the lans by only selecting one router port for a VLAN in addition of assigning a profile to switch ports with the same VLAN.

I seems it's not possible or I am not understanding something (or a lot of things LOL).

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-07-05 02:29:24 - last edited 2023-07-05 02:31:16

@MwaItou 

you are right. it is the loop back. you are putting your switch into a loop by connecting two cables. 

this is never a recommended way to do this.

since other comments above said by you mentioned that you don't understand why it's vlan configured, and still got such an issue, the reason is simple.

you set up vlan, but not in the right way. native vlan(default vlan) = vlan id 1, this is not possible to delete. unless you put this port into a different vlan, like pvid= 2, vlan id = 2, and you set the other port on the switch the same, you can make them separate.

yet this only happens in standalone mode, as the controller mode, you cannot set the port vlan which is possible in standalone. 

you do seem to make it worse. suggest you read the article about the vlan config. get a clue about vlan before you jump into the config: 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/3061/

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/Xv5d-wYs2Yk

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-07-05 14:27:18

@Tedd404 

Thanks for confirming my hunch 😀

You're saying that I setup VLAN but not in the right way... Are you refering to ACL? I'm in the process of isolating each vlan using those

Options
2023-07-06 03:39:53 - last edited 2023-07-06 12:43:09

@MwaItou 

if you want to isolate them, use ACL. 

in this setup, you are using vlan interface. it's communicable. https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/3061/

only when you set up the ACL, do you start to isolate them. vlan interface is a set of functions working together. if you simply want to isolate network by function - 802.1q vlan, refer to other guides like: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2149/

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-07-06 12:42:59

Thank you so much!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 474

Replies: 6

Tags

Related Articles