Powering second EAP225 outdoor from EAP245 second ethernet port

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-04 18:42:17
Tags: #Installation #POE Passthrough
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am installing two EAP245's and an EAP225-Outdoor in our community hall to replace the router WiFi and and an old Netgear 802.11.g Access Point. 

The existing Netgear Wifi Access point is powered by POE supplied by a Netgear GS516TP:16-port 1000Base-TGigabitPoE Smart Managed Switch which has 8 PoE802.3af ports with a total POE budget of 76w and capable of 15w per port up to 22w?? per port.

I would prefer to connect all APs on an eathernet backbone but because there is no mains power immediately adjacent where one of the EAP245's will be postioned, if possible, I wanted to connect the EAP225 Outdoor to the second EAP 245 ethernet port. However unless I am mistaken the second ethernet port on the EAP245 does not pass through POE?

I could rig up a POE injector taking power from the incoming ethernet cable and injecting it into the outgoing ethernet cable connected to the second port but not sure if applying POE to the second port would damage the EAP245. Also the EAP245 has a load of 12.3W and the EAP225 a load of 10.5W this is marginally over the 22w POE load supplied by the Netgear switch port and I would be worried it might damage the switch.

My questions are:-

1) The load figures above for the two TP-Link EAPs are taken from the TP-Link Specification sheet for each AP. Are they the minimum figures when idle or do they increase when devices are connected by WI-FI and transmitting/receiving data?

2) An alterntive option to daisy-chaining each AP on the Netgear port is to try and provide separate POE power to the EAP225 via an injector. Will it damage the second ethernet port on the EAP245 which I will still need for a data connection as there is no hub nearby.

3) The final option is to have a part ethernet part WI-FI backbone with the EAP225 linked by WI-FI backbone to the EAP245. Is it possible to have have part ethernet part wifi backbone on the same network and is there a performance degredation for the EAP225 data throughput by being linked by WI-FI.  The EAP 225 is providing wifi access in the garden so will not have the same amount of connections as the EAP245 although it hopefully will alow roaming between the two APs.

I have attached an image showing the three connection scenarios. I would appreciate any pros and cons of each connection scenario or indeed if they are feasible.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Powering second EAP225 outdoor from EAP245 second ethernet port
2023-07-05 05:59:55

@Fozzie Bear 

1)2) What is the hardware version of your EAP245? There is a big difference between V3 and V4. V3 second port is not POE passthrough, but V4 does. However, EAP225 OD power consumption exceeds 5W.

3) Use mesh to bridge them is OK, you can enable fast roaming, band steering to optimize the performance.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-07-05 08:35:10

@Virgo Many thanks Virgo.

Although only just purchased they are V3.0, so old stock and therefore no POE pass through. As you rightly say the EAP225 are more than 5w i.e. 10.5w, so would not power the second AP even if V4.0

I am thinking my best option might be Scenario 2 on my drawing. I might be able to drill through a wall an pick up a 240v supply from a data projector on the other side to power a POE injector. I assume that there may be some form of DC isolation between the input and output of the POE injector that will allow me to connect to port 2 on the EAP245 without danger of damage. That said, modern kit should have ethernet circuitry that is auto-sensing to the presence of POE. If this fails to be an option my fall back is WiFi backbone between the two APs and working out how to get a 240v supply to the EAP225 outside.

Options
2023-07-05 16:31:00

@Fozzie Bear 

Even if you had a V4, you'd need 802.3at support for the downstream POE to work.  Forget power splitting as shown in Option1...here be dragons.

Option 1 is a non-starter

Option 2 is the most performant

Option 3 will work but you reduce capacity (and user experience) as you use the 5.8G radio for the wireless backhaul as well as access and both must run on the same channel.

If you can run cable, Option2 is the winner in my book

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 615

Replies: 3

Tags

Installation
POE Passthrough
Related Articles