Problems with Omada Software and Static IP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-17 14:47:56
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Following advice received on my previous forum post here I have sucessfully installed 2 x EAP245 and one EAP225-Outdoor in our community hall. All devices powered up fine. Unfortunately I am unable to manage them with the Omada Software controller.

The latest version 5.931 could not find the EAPs on the lan even though the Discovery Utility found them. The software complained that the port was in use and after using netstat command several times I resorted to clean installing Win 10 on my laptop and reinstalling the Omada Software. Unfortunately it still couldnt find the eaps so I uninstalled 5.931 and downgraded the controller software to version 3.21 which found the eaps and I was able to adopt them.

However I was unable to change  each device IP address to a static one in the software although it appeared to save OK. I also discovered that the EAPs were stuck on Provisioning and the APs were not transmitting an SSID. The only way I could get them to work was to get the Omada software to forget them and then log into each AP at a time and configure each seperately after first re-setting them.

However even then I cant seem to change the device IP address to static. I reserved three IP addresses in the router with their respective MAC address and after re-setting them could use the new router assigned IP address in a browser to access the AP. I could then log in and set up the SSID etc, but as soon as I went into the Mangement tab and switched from dynamic to static and put in the same IP address reserved in the router, the device could not be accessed via a web browser. I had to use the reset switch on the AP to return to factory settings before I could then set it up again. I have now left all devices as dynamic with the router assiging the same IP address all the time.

Am I doing something wrong here. I have the same FTTP Genexis HRG1000 router at my home and the same EAP245 and 225's and they all accepted a static IP and can be managed by the Omada software.

Its not a big deal as there are only three APs to manage however I was hoping to use the Voucher system built in to the software to provide access tokens to hirers, and wanted to try and use the Cloud account to configure this. But perhaps I need the software controller running 24/7 to be able to access the network from the Cloud Controller??

Options
7 Reply
Re:Problems with Omada Software and Static IP
2023-07-17 15:56:04 - last edited 2023-07-17 15:56:19

@Fozzie Bear 

I suspect you have run into a Windows Firewall type issue.  Is this the kind of error you are getting?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-07-17 16:03:49

@d0ugmac1 Thanks for replying. Yes I was originally, as my laptop had wireshark, and numerous otther tools for managing powerline adapters using ncap. However I soon realised something was blocking the ports so I did a clean install of windows 10 and then downloaded and reinstalled the latest Omada. This then stopped any error messages but reinstalled software still couldn't see the EAPs on the lan which was why I downgraded to an earlier version before 3.0. For some reason although the eralier version could see all the EAPs when I selected adopt it just sat there at provioning and never changed status to connected. Im beginning to think I need an OC200 or better stil a raspberry pi with Omada on so I can use the Pis as an Anydesk Gateway too.

Options
2023-07-17 17:06:44
You would likely need to factory default all devices and readopt them after connecting them to a v3.x controller. I am using oc200's and Docker over Linux (for my PI and NAS based controllers). My first controller was Windows based but the hardware requirements for Win10+ are stupid just to run an Omada controller 24/7. To TPlink's credit, the OC200 is probably the most robust so far and the builtin POE power option is a big plus.The PI clone is the cheapest and most flexible...I use it to also concurrently run PiHole and Wireguard as the ER605v1 will never do that.
Options
2023-07-17 17:17:00 - last edited 2023-07-17 17:17:13

@Fozzie Bear OC200 will save you some stress. I originally had our EAP610 OD Root and 4 EAP225 OD Remotes running from PC software. OC200 at $100 was easily justified.

Options
2023-07-17 17:17:49

@d0ugmac1 I think the OC200 would be the simplest solution but I like the idea of using a Raspberry Pi. I need to allow a supplier to access our building Managment System to do upgrades apply fixes etc and their preferred tool is Anydesk which you can get for Raspberry Pi OS. I would also like to RDP our three Internet Cafe computers to schedule Windows updates which I assume I should be able to do through a VPN like Wireshark. (Ideally I need a WOL client that runs on a Pi too so I can wake up the computers remotely)

I still cant figure why I cant configure a static IP for each EAP though when I have done this on my home network without any issue.

Options
2023-07-17 18:19:31

@Fozzie Bear 

So on the static IP, by which I assume you mean 'Reserved IP'.  This can and will work on any controller solution/arch, but often you have to power cycle at least the AP in order for the newly reserved IP to take effect (this is by design so you don't cause outages until you are ready).

Options
2023-07-17 18:49:00

@Fozzie Bear 

One last thought on the PI...if something goes wrong ie glitchy USB power supply, cheap SDRAM card and the filesystem gets corrupted, you are hard down, and without a backup of the controller, or ideally the entire PI environment on an SD card...you are rebuilding from scratch via a site visit.  The OC200 is a little more resilient than that.

I am currently experimenting at a remote site using a PI as primary, but my OC200 from which the PI's initial system was created from via backup is on luke warm standby.  Unforunately Omada doesn't make it easy to have two live controllers in the same network space, but I think I have a work around using the cloud.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 453

Replies: 7

Related Articles