ER605 Routing Table - Unknown IP address showing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-21 17:22:12
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2 Build 20230210 Rel.62992

I'm using an ER605 v2 newly set up within the past couple of days, and it's using the latest public firmware and it is cofigured in Standalone mode.

I have two WANs enabled (only 'WAN' is set up with a connection at the moment, using PPPoE, with nothing set up for 'WAN1/LAN' port yet, but that will follow sometime). I have the other three ethernet ports on the ER605 as LAN, with one of those linking to a TP-Link TL-SG108PE switch for connectivity to the rest of my network devices.

The LAN is split in to four internal IP address ranges (192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x, 192.168.10.x, 192.168.20.x) and VLANs are configured.

I've not manually set up any Routing but my devices are able to connect to the internet and are working fine, everything seems good...

...However when browsing around the other settings and going to Transmission > Routing to see what else was available to set up, the first page there for "Static Route" has nothing listed (which is fine as I've not set anything up), the second tab for "Policy Routing" also doesn't list anything as again I've not yet set anything up, but then it gets odd on the third tab for "Routing Table".

On the "Routing Table" page it loads up with nothing listed at first and then a few seconds later it shows the contents of a populated list with 10 entries.

One of the entries on the list is an unknown IP address, and I don't understand why it is there or what it is doing. The IP address is in the 168.254.123.x range - this appears to be "Charter Communications, Inc" in the USA, where as I'm in the United Kingdom, which is where I became more concered about it being there.  It shows as seen in this screenshot:

ER605 unknown IP address in Routing Table

If I do a tracert to the full IP address (I've cut off the last octet for this post and in the screenshots in case it's specific to me somehow) it shows as hop 2 of the two hops it shows in the tracert result.

If I visit the IP address in my browser (on a device connected to my internal network) it shows an ER605 login screen. If I try to access the IP address from a device not on my network (eg: iPhone using mobile data instead of WiFi on my network) it doesn't connect and times out. I've obviously not tried to login to it, incase it's a dubious page that I'd not want to submit login details to, although the page source does appear to match exactly what's on my device when connecting directly to my ER605 internal IP address on 192.168.... range.

I've seen a similar topic whilst researching this to see if it had been mentioned before, ER605 Unknown IP Address in the traceroute, however that's a different IP "169.254.11.21", and if I do tracerts to specific domains (eg: google.com as per that other post) "my" unknown IP (168.254.123.x) does not show as my 2nd hop (or any hop at all). It only shows as the 2nd hop if tracert to the specific IP that I've got in my Routing Table.

I've not set anything up manually in the other tabs of Transmission > Routing, but do have the 4 LAN and 1 WAN that have been configured elsewhere in the router showing in a Interface Config table on the RIP page and on the OSPF page. However neither of those features appear to be enabled.

Main questions from this:

• Should the mystery unknown IP address be showing in my Routing Table, is it safe, how/why is this specific IP specified (as opposed to another one).
  • If it's intended to be there, what does it do, how would I make use of this additional IP address, or does it have no use at all? Is there any way to remove it from the Routing Table (that page doesn't have any option to add or delete due to it dynamically updating to show route information)

Options
1 Reply
Re:ER605 Routing Table - Unknown IP address showing
2023-07-24 01:52:57 - last edited 2023-07-24 01:53:32

Hi @Simon_M 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

VLAN ID 4094 is usually the reserved VLAN ID for the WAN port. Like the post you pasted. You can go to the WAN or VLAN settings, and you should find 4094 there.

• It's safe.
  • It's written by us so implement the basic features of internet. There is no way to remove it and you don't need to worry about it
Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 558

Replies: 1

Related Articles