ER605 mass client disconnection events

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-23 03:44:32 - last edited 2023-07-26 12:56:38
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2

I am experiencing clients frequently being dropped from the LAN on ER605.  Sometimes this is individual clients.  Sometimes mass disconnection events when the entire LAN client group gets disconnected for around 10 minutes, as illustrated in this chart - 

ISP is fixed wireless on ER605 WAN port with PPPoE connection and failover to Netgear 4G modem on WAN2 with dynamic IP connection.

Client disconnections are not associated with ISP failures / failover.  This has been monitored by ISP for weeks and the ER605 is maintaining a stable upstream connection.  The issue is on the ER605 / LAN.

ER605 connects to local network via three TP-Link switches in different parts of the building TL-SG1016PE, TL-SG108E and TL-SG1008P.  The 8 port switches are currently on separate LAN ports on the ER605 but previously were connected through the 16 port switch with same issues experienced.  I moved them to the ER605 LAN ports as I initially thought it might be an issue with the 16 port switch and wanted to test with it isolated.  Disconnections persist across whole of network, not just the clients connected through the 16 port switch.

OC200 hardware controller (firmware 1.24.0) is connected via the 16 port switch. 

There are two non-TP Wi-Fi access points connected, but issues are with Ethernet connections.

Network speeds via Ethernet are also very degraded.  For example, the ISP connection is 120Mbps but speed test on a device connected to the TL-SG108E via Ethernet is only achieving download speeds of around 30Mbps with all other network switches connected, or around 75Mbps if I disconnect the TL-SG1016PE and TL-SG1008P from the ER605 before running the test.  Streaming from YouTube or Netflix / other streaming services experiences frequent stalled stream and disconnections. 

Aside from some IP reservations for specific clients and the failover to WAN2, the configuration of the network is as per the ER605 default with a single LAN and default VLAN.

Grateful for any suggested solutions.

Options
21 Reply
Re:ER605 mass client disconnection events
2023-07-23 08:27:03

@RecapsGallion Updated to firmware 2.1.4 Build 20230720 Rel.50798 and reset WAN and went from this - 

to this - 

Latency vastly improved but speed dropped after initial improvement.

Still experiencing disconnections from some active clients.

Options
2023-07-23 08:45:52

@RecapsGallion 

What happens if you disconnect everything on the router except wan, connect a PC directly to the router and run a speed test.

Options
2023-07-23 09:00:11

@MR.S works as it should - 

We have also run WinMTR with direct connection to ISP via PPPoE with good results, but when connected via LAN and ER605 we had 7% packet loss between PC and ER605 and 23% loss at fixed wireless dish.

Options
2023-07-23 09:17:16

@RecapsGallion 

I think you probably need to look at the switcher/cabling, the router is probably not faulty :-) connect one switch at a time and see when the problem starts, then remove one cable at a time from the problem switch. it can be difficult to determine where the error is.

Options
2023-07-23 09:37:16

@MR.S when all 3 switches are connected to separate LAN ports on the ER605, and it is still disconnecting all devices across all three switches simultaneously, I don't see how it could be a single switch or cable that is faulty.  Also, most of the cables are new - replacing cables was the first step that I took to try to diagnose the fault.

Options
2023-07-23 09:46:09

@RecapsGallion 

it is hard to say. but if the speed is normal when you disconnect all the switches, then I would start by looking elsewhere than on the router. I have 3 such routers myself and I have never experienced a similar problem.

Options
2023-07-24 00:41:18

@MR.S it appears that the graph that I pasted above from the OC200 dashboard is not showing available speeds, but rather might be showing Mbps averaged over the 5 minute  window, which with lower traffic on a Sunday afternoon is a lower average.  With the switches back in the network, I've now run several speed tests showing the same speed as when the computer was connected directly to the ER605 with the switches unplugged (computer now connected through the TP-SG1016).

Options
2023-07-24 06:14:51

Hi @RecapsGallion 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

I am thinking the same thing as the MR.S. Cabling instead of the router or switch. Note that all the switches you have are not smart switches and cannot block the loop.

If you want to find out who's causing the issue, I suggest you run a test from the router directly. Disconnect all other switches. Test the router alone by ping 8.8.8.8 -t and run another one to ping 192.168.0.1 -t. By running two of these commands in CMD, if there is no disconnection or drop, you can conclude that the router is working and it is not a problem with the router at all. Either the cable or the switches.

So the basic methodology here is to troubleshoot them one by one and find out who's faulty and replace it.

Currently, you cannot rule out the possibilities:

1. Loop

2. Bad cabling or loose connection

If you are certain that this issue only exists on wired devices, cabling could be the case. Nothing else, just the cabling. I don't consider bad DNS resolve or other possibilities. Wireless can resolve the IP address and can provide a stable network, which means the internet is uninterrupted. (You can further verify this by WIFI connection and ping 8.8.8.8 -t)

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-07-25 01:35:51 - last edited 2023-07-26 12:56:38

@Clive_A @MR.S Thank you both for your comments.  

Since the firmware update to the latest Beta and resetting the WAN, I have experienced stable latency around 32msec, stable speeds of around 110+Mbps (on a 120Mbps connection) and no Ethernet disconnection events.

I will continue to monitor until next weekend and try the further diagnostics that you have suggested then, when other users will not be affected.

But so far, hopefully, it looks like the issue may be fixed.

Options
2023-07-26 13:01:05

@Clive_A @MR.S I spoke too soon about a solution.  

What do you make of the following graph - the ER605 dropping all client connections (including the OC200) this afternoon.  This was not an ISP failure; no failover to WAN2.  All 3 LAN ports dropped at the same times.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1739

Replies: 21

Related Articles