Not able to start OpenVPN Client tunnel

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-26 10:01:20
Tags: #VPN #OpenVPN
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

I bought this router to start an OpenVPN connection with another (existing) OpenVPN Server.

When I add the client with the information and ovpn file, the client is added and enabled. But when I go to VPN > OpenVPN > OpenVPN Tunnel , nothing appears in the list.

It seems not active.

The OpenVPN Server used the latest standard, this is why we need AES-256-GCM as cipher encryption.

It is not clear for me, which standards are supported by the router.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Not able to start OpenVPN Client tunnel
2023-07-26 10:21:52

@Jan88 

it does not work with any of the TP-Link routers, I have found that the server must be OpenVPN 2.4 or older. there is no support for newer ones.

Please correct me TP-Link if I'm wrong. @Clive_A  or @Hank21 

Options
2023-07-26 12:16:30 - last edited 2023-07-26 12:16:42

@MR.S 

I was also fearing this.

I hope someone knows if TP-Links plans to solve this issue, because newer OpenVPN servers will all have higher versions then 2.4 .

Options
2023-07-27 03:13:42

Hi @Jan88

Thank you for taking the time to report the issue on TP-Link Community! I have forwarded the issue to our support engineers for further investigation and will try to provide an update here when there is any progress.

Currently, this GCM encryption is not supported.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-08-06 09:51:42

@Clive_A 

Thank you for forwarding. Since blowfish cipher is seen as "unsecure", the OpenVPN-Client is useless for me. Do you see a real chance to update OpenVPN-Client to make it compatible to GCM encryption on ER605? Otherwise I have to switch to another product.

Options
2023-08-07 01:40:01

Hi @bmdevelopment 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

I cannot guarantee anything since I don't have details of the roadmap. Recently, more feedback on this has popped up. I am recording the number of feedback and reporting this to the dev team. I also wish they can make this feature available soon. smiley

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-09-08 07:54:35

@Clive_A : Are there any news?

Options
2023-09-08 08:35:40

Hi @bmdevelopment 

Unfortunately, no. No ETA yet.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 784

Replies: 7

Tags

VPN
OpenVPN
Related Articles