Extend wifi to inside metal shed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-26 23:59:00
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I currently have a 3 x Deco M5 mesh network in my house - working really well. 
I have a new metal shed. Wifi signal is strong outside, but hopeless inside (perhaps the steel cladding is shielding the signal). 
Is there some way I can get the signal inside the shed?  Perhaps mount a receiver outside the shed to pick up the existing wifi signal and a transmitter inside the shed?

Ethernet cable to the shed is not an option, nor is powerline (different circuits), so need a wireless solution. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:Extend wifi to inside metal shed
2023-07-27 08:35:18

@Ben72 

Hi, 

May I know how far from the shed to the nearest Deco units?

Here take Deco X50-outdoor for example, if mounting it outside the shed, since there is an Ethernet port on the X50-Outdoor, is there any chance that you could run the cable from X50-outdoor into the shed?

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/deco/deco-x50-outdoor/

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-07-27 08:46:04

Thanks @David-TP. It's about 25m from the closest inside Deco M5 to the shed.

That sounds like a good idea - yes, I can run an Ethernet cable through the wall.

So, just to confirm, the X50-outdoor would pick up the signal from the existing indoor mesh network and send it via an Ethernet cable into the shed. Do I then attach the other end of the Ethernet cable (inside the shed) to another Deco unit (say, another Deco M5)?

Ben

Options
2023-07-27 09:01:19 - last edited 2023-07-27 09:01:56

@Ben72 

Hi, it is correct that

X50-outdoor would pick up the signal from the existing indoor mesh network and send it via an Ethernet cable into the shed, then you could attach the other end of the Ethernet cable (inside the shed) to another Deco unit (say, another Deco M5)

But if you don't mind, maybe you could run a field test.

1. stand near where you tend to mount Deco X50-Outdoor and check the wireless signal strength on the smartphone via the Wi-Fi analyzer APPs(or you could walk around to find another better spot for Deco X50-Outdoor). Normally we need to keep the signal strength at about -70dBm otherwise the Mesh link between Deco X50-Outdoor and nearby satellite M5 would be weak and unstable.

Best regards.

Options
2023-07-27 09:19:07

@David-TP   Thanks again!

I'll head outside tomorrow with my MacBook to check the signal strength along the wall of the shed to find the best spot. Ben

Options
2023-07-28 01:39:58

@David-TP So field test this morning shows:

Outside the shed:

RSSI: -60dBm

ping 35ms; Download 22Mbps; Upload 2Mbps

[This is about the same as I get inside the house]

Inside the shed:

RSSI: -81dBm

ping 43ms; Download 0.65Mbps; Upload 0.25Mbps

Based on those results, I will pick up an X50-outdoor.

Would you recommend I stick with a single M5 for in the shed?

Really appreciate your assistance.  Ben

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 309

Replies: 5

Related Articles