Swith Port Forwarding

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Swith Port Forwarding

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Swith Port Forwarding
Swith Port Forwarding
2023-07-27 08:22:46 - last edited 2023-08-07 09:42:49
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I have a port forward setup on my Archer AX20 router. Currently the AX20 serves as the DHCP server, however I have upgraded to a dedicated router and the T1600-28TS swith will now function as the DHCP server. 

I have once again setup the port forward on the new router, but I can't access the device that is supposed to be accessible via the port forward as the device is connected to the switch and the switch assigns the IP addresses. 

How can I "transfer" the port forward via the switch? 

The device targeted by the port forward is a Raspberry Pi which runs home assistant and this Raspberry Pi needs to see devices which connects to and receives IP addresses from the switch. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Swith Port Forwarding-Solution
2023-07-27 09:44:29 - last edited 2023-08-07 09:42:49

Hi @Charl99 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

You cannot port forward on a switch because it is not a NAT device. Do it on the router.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-07-27 21:27:31 - last edited 2023-08-07 09:42:51

@Charl99 

In general, you cannot set up port forwarding on a switch. A typical switch just does not provide this function. That’s O.K. I don’t think you need it.

“ The raspberry Pi is getting the static IP 192.168.0.6 from the switch.”

I read this that you have created a DHCP reservation for your raspberry Pi on the switch’s DHCP server. It would be better if you have really configured it with a static IP address, instead of DHCP, but that's not the issue. 

If the port forwarding is set up correctly on the router, i.e. it points to 192.168.0.6 and the correct port, that should work without any additional configuration. If it does not work, that IP address is simply not accessible on the given port from your router. There must be some other misconfiguration on your network.

Also, if you haven’t disabled the DHCP server on your router, you may try that. Having multiple DHCP servers on the network is a little tricky.

Kris K
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
2023-07-27 09:44:29 - last edited 2023-08-07 09:42:49

Hi @Charl99 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

You cannot port forward on a switch because it is not a NAT device. Do it on the router.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Swith Port Forwarding
2023-07-27 10:02:55

Hi @Clive_A,

Thank you for the response. 

As mentioned above the port forward is setup on the router and the port forward is functioning as intended when the Raspberry Pi is connected to the router directly. 

However my switch is connected to the router and then all the devices is connected to the switch. The switch is functioning as the DHCP server. The raspberry Pi is getting the static IP 192.168.0.6 from the switch. 

When I try to access the Raspberry Pi from outside the network it is not accessible as the port forward is not being passed on to the switch. I want to know how to configure the switch so that the port forward is passed on via the switch. 

Options
2023-07-27 21:27:31 - last edited 2023-08-07 09:42:51

@Charl99 

In general, you cannot set up port forwarding on a switch. A typical switch just does not provide this function. That’s O.K. I don’t think you need it.

“ The raspberry Pi is getting the static IP 192.168.0.6 from the switch.”

I read this that you have created a DHCP reservation for your raspberry Pi on the switch’s DHCP server. It would be better if you have really configured it with a static IP address, instead of DHCP, but that's not the issue. 

If the port forwarding is set up correctly on the router, i.e. it points to 192.168.0.6 and the correct port, that should work without any additional configuration. If it does not work, that IP address is simply not accessible on the given port from your router. There must be some other misconfiguration on your network.

Also, if you haven’t disabled the DHCP server on your router, you may try that. Having multiple DHCP servers on the network is a little tricky.

Kris K
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Swith Port Forwarding
2023-07-31 02:03:50 - last edited 2023-07-31 02:06:21

Hi @Charl99 

This is doable theoretically. You gotta configure it this way.

in your DHCP settings on the switch, you are required to put the gateway IP address. You have to put the router IP there.

You can verify the access to the server by connecting a device to the router LAN port and put the IP:internal_port of the server and access it. If in the LAN, you can access it without an issue, then it should work on the WAN as well.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 509

Replies: 4

Related Articles