I can't get past 200Mbps on my LAN<>WAN with the new ER605(v1) firmware 1.3 - CPU Throttles

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

I can't get past 200Mbps on my LAN<>WAN with the new ER605(v1) firmware 1.3 - CPU Throttles

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-30 13:07:06 - last edited 2023-07-31 05:55:18
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20230511 Rel.51317

Hi all,

I am happy that TP-Link is adding features to the ER605 Router.

However, I am having issues upon upgrading to the new firmware. My Internet speed doesn't go past 200Mbps and I notice that the CPU throttles too much.

Here's my current setup.

-ER605 on Standalone mode

-2x WAN on load balancing and with Policy Routing

--WAN supports 400Mbps(max)

--WAN1 supports 200Mbps (max)

There are devices configured to route to either of the WAN or WAN1 but set as a failover to each other.

During speedtest, our devices can no longer get past 200Mbps both on LAN and via access points.

Before upgrading, devices can reach 400Mbps at max when on WAN and with no CPU issues.

Below is the status when on speedtest (which is not normal)

Troubleshooting done:

1. connected PC straight to LAN Port

2. enabled a policy routing for a single PC to WAN and the rest to WAN1. 

Result: Still the same and cannot reach 400Mbps

3. Reboot - nothing changed

Any opinion or help is really appreciated.

Options
5 Reply
Re:I can't get past 200Mbps on my LAN<>WAN with the new ER605(v1) firmware 1.3 - CPU Throttles
2023-07-30 15:10:59

@PaulVisco 

Check that 'IP Statistics' isnt enabled. Its on the Status->Traffic Statistics->Ip Statistics page. If that's enabled it will cause high cpu usage at higher speeds

Options
Re:I can't get past 200Mbps on my LAN<>WAN with the new ER605(v1) firmware 1.3 - CPU Throttles
2023-07-31 04:34:48

@MisterW Hi, Thanks for your reply.

I have tried that but symptoms are still present. I still cannot maximize the Internet speed we are subscribed to.

Would having it on controller mode (using omada on a pc) resolve this?

Options
2023-07-31 05:54:57

Hi @PaulVisco 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

What you reported is serious as far as I can see. It's reaching a pretty high level of CPU usage.

I have some questions before I make my next move:

1. How many devices use the Internet on ER605? What's the size of your network? Specify the number of clients connected to the router.

2. Except for the Load Balance setting, what other settings do you have? I need to know the numbers of the rules you created for functions e.g. VLAN, ACL, VPN, etc.

3. Is there any simultaneous speedtests?

Unplug all other cables, leave one WAN and one PC Ethernet connected. Run the speed test and monitor the CPU usage.

Connect both WANs and one PC for testing. Monitor the CPU usage.

Let me know the results.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-07-31 12:46:42

@Clive_A 

Hi there!

I truly appreciate your reply.

Please see further information below -

1. How many devices use the Internet on ER605? What's the size of your network? Specify the number of clients connected to the router.

- The devices vary from 30 to 50. On average there is only less than 40 using the internet at the same time.

2. Except for the Load Balance setting, what other settings do you have? I need to know the numbers of the rules you created for functions e.g. VLAN, ACL, VPN, etc.

- No. of VLANs used: 2

- No. of Unused VLANs: 2

- There are no VPN Server/Client in place

- 4 Items on ACL (Basic VLAN restrictions only)

3. Is there any simultaneous speedtests?

- Only a single device is doing the speedtest.

Few other information:

- 2 items on bandwidth control (purpose is to control bandwidth of the 2 VLAN)

- 2 items on MAC Filtering

- 2 Items on DDNS under NO-IP

- On regular days including some streaming, social media, work applications, the cpu usage is pretty low.

As for the below recommendation

Unplug all other cables, leave one WAN and one PC Ethernet connected. Run the speed test and monitor the CPU usage.

Connect both WANs and one PC for testing. Monitor the CPU usage.

I will need to schedule a system shutdown as it is mainly used for home/work internet for some of our apartment tenants.

Thanks!

Options
2023-08-01 01:14:47

Hi @PaulVisco

Alright. Kinda helpful.

So, you mentioned that you have some tenants and devices around 40 simultaneously using the Internet.

For the moment, I cannot rule out if there is a problem with the software. My suggestion would be that is possible for you to run the speed test with a single device connected.

This is supposed to verify the load of the router. If you don't have any trouble with this single device, but with the current topology(40-50 devices), you got a full 100% CPU usage sometimes. This seems to be an overload issue with the router.

For ER605, we recommend 30-60 devices(high-bandwidth devices like cellphones and laptops), that's the hardware limit for the product.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options