Query client RSSI for every AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-06 12:00:12
Tags: #Roaming #API
Model: EAP670  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there,

I'm planning to buy 3 access points EAP670 to use with the Omada Software Controller in a smart home setting.

I'm looking to utilize the WiFi  access points to complement the presence detection: find out in which room the client device is. There's been a lot of research on using AP's CSI/various metrics to locate the client. Ideally, I'd hope to get such information from the controller to my server/software in real time, but I assume there's no chance to access this, right?

At the very least, I'd be happy if I could query the signal strength from a particular client/MAC to every AP in the network, so that I could trilaterate the client position. I've been studying a YApi document for the Omada controller, but I could only find a query "/{omadacId}/api/v2/sites/{siteId}/clients/{clientMac}" to return the signal to the currently used AP (field rssi).

Since EAP670 and the Omada Controller support the WiFi roaming, I assume the signal strength history/information must be stored somewhere inside the software. Is there a way to query it?

Options
12 Reply
Re:Query client RSSI for every AP
2023-08-07 09:01:57

Hi @Art_em 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

So, I tried to search related info yet I found nothing. I think you cannot triangulate the client and make it sync with your smart devices to implement presence detection.

API document's here: Omada SDN Controller API Document

I'd recommend you get a dedicated presence detector which does not cost much. It's more convenient and flexible.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-08-07 17:44:15 - last edited 2023-08-07 17:44:50

Hi @Clive_A ,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have some means of presence detection, but I figure the Wi-Fi signal analysis is still very useful for deciding which services should be available to a phone based on its location. The only reasonable alternative is bluetooth trackers; also not perfect since this means more harware to install and maintain (and an extra step for a user).

Would it be reasonable to make a feature request to add this functionality to the api? This forum gives me an impression that the Omada is an actively developed software with very responsive developers and a friendly community :) I have yet almost a year to decide on the WiFi devices before the house is ready for moving-in, so I can wait a bit.

Without any knowledge of the software, I'd guess a few points speaking for such a feature:

- Hopefully, it's inexpensive to implement:

* the controller seems to have an intelligent roaming logic; so the RSSI is probably already logged.

* On the API side this could be as simple as adding a single key-value-pair (AP MAC, RSSI) list to the client details query response.

- It could be interesting to business customers, such as offices/malls etc, to provide location-based services or ads.

Options
2023-08-08 01:55:25

Hi @Art_em

I am aware that you have an interest in this. But before I pass this idea to the dev team, can you list some of the brands that have implemented this RSSI query in API?

So, I understand that there are different needs from the people but this would be attractive to the dev team if you can list a competitor who has done this. And the dev will also evaluate the possibility of this.

What you asked for is not an easy feature. Based on my knowledge, this is gonna be a frequent query. Probably it's real-time or you gotta query this 3-5 or up to 10 times a second if you have multiple devices and APs. That means the Controller will query every AP frequently. AP will also need a certain amount of RAM for responding to the query.

If you check the RAM of the AP, some models have limited RAM size and after the launch, it's up to 60-70%.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-08-08 07:01:31

[Sorry the form does not allow me to save external links]

Sure! One example is the location analytics by Cisco Meraki  documentation dot meraki dot com/MR/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Location_Analytics (the page by the link pretty much outlines the implementation plan). It seems to also be doable at the AP level using Mikrotik RouterOS or the OpenWRT CLI (which would require much more work on my/customer side). On the marketing side, check out the Mapsted blog post from a few months ago (mapsted dot com/blog/wifi-positioning-system-explained), which explains the motivation much better than me.

I don't want to peek the implementation details from you, but I'd assume your APs already send the logs of client Wi-Fi probes with the RSSI to the network controller in one way or another to allow smart roaming. Hence I think in the most basic form this can be implemented solely on the controller side (perhaps by saving a bit more information in its database).

For my purposes it's fine if the RSSI data is slightly outdated (if, let say, the controller would send timestamps attached to every AP+RSSI pair). Sending the data for all visible client devices at once could help to reduce the frequency of requests to the controller.

Options
2023-08-10 09:33:44

Hi @Art_em 

I read that documentation from Meraki.

This is what I read:

Additionally, Meraki Scanning API is capable of exporting raw data from the observed probe requests, which organizations can use to integrate directly with third-party data warehousing or analytics platforms. Not only can this facilitate a deeper integration with traditional customer relationship management (CRM) platforms, but, due to its real-time nature, it opens doors to next-generation customer engagement initiatives.

What I read is that this function is used for Location Analytics which helps business owner to monitor and adjust the network instead of integrating it into a smart home scenario where you can use its API to enable presence detection.

The whole concept is great but it's not enabling a smart action/scene. Data is for analytic purposes only.

For the time being, I wanna say that the evaluation of this feature probably would fail.

Options
2023-08-10 10:08:15 - last edited 2023-08-10 10:52:06

Hi @Clive_A thanks for delving into the issue!

Honestly, I don't see how it's not enabling the smart action/scene. The quote you posted says directly that it can provide this data in real-time for data warehousing, analytic platforms and enables customer engagement initiatives.

In fact, their picture in the introduction documentation. meraki. com/@api/deki/files/8413/Screen_Shot_2015-07-09_at_4.15.26_PM.png shows exactly what I'd like to get, if you relpace the drawing of a cloud with the Omada controller in it.

All the bits and pieces are there. On the one hand, I, as a private customer, have a particular implementation plan on how to turn the probe/RSSI data into device-room presence detection and use it in my apps. On the other hand, your team can build new features for the enterprise based upon this data; the features that are seemingly being developed by your competitors. In fact, I believe, the smart home application has an untapped market potential as well - this could turn into a collaboration with smart home solution provides, such as e.g. Loxone.

Options
2023-08-11 02:48:18

Hi @Art_em 

I cannot open up the link you posted. Is it documentation. meraki. com/@api/deki/files/8413/Screen_Shot_2015-07-09_at_4.15.26_PM.png?

I read it again and is that what you need? Our API is still under development. That's possible to probe the device's RSSI but not sure if that's gonna help. Will inform the dev about this and evaluate this.

Options
2023-08-11 12:32:11

Thanks, @Clive_A , yes, this is the picture I meant in the previous post.

Just to make sure we're on the same page:

1. Note, on the left side of the picture, probing and associated client devices send packets to the AP's. The key requirement here (may be not immediately clear from the picture) is that all APs, which receive the probe, send this information to the Controller and down to the device (not just the AP in which the client is currently associated/registered).

2. In the picture, the controller sends the information proactively, which is very nice for me as a customer backend. But I think this is not absolutely necessary; it would be ok if the data for a short-period of time is aggregated on the controller side and is sent by request.

Options
2023-08-14 01:57:53

Hi @Art_em 

Art_em wrote

Thanks, @Clive_A , yes, this is the picture I meant in the previous post.

Just to make sure we're on the same page:

1. Note, on the left side of the picture, probing and associated client devices send packets to the AP's. The key requirement here (may be not immediately clear from the picture) is that all APs, which receive the probe, send this information to the Controller and down to the device (not just the AP in which the client is currently associated/registered).

2. In the picture, the controller sends the information proactively, which is very nice for me as a customer backend. But I think this is not absolutely necessary; it would be ok if the data for a short-period of time is aggregated on the controller side and is sent by request.

The key in this interaction is the HTTPS post from the controller after probing the RSSI.

As far as I know, we have not implemented real-time probing yet. So, there are several work we need to do.

1. Probing

2. Generating the HTTPS post

3. API to access this HTTPS post

It's quite advanced as far as I can see. I'll send it to the dev team for evaluation.

Options
2023-08-14 05:43:31

Thanks, @Clive_A, looking forward to hear from them!

A small note: "probing" is what clients do independently of the AP/network controller. The AP's merely listen to client probes and report to the controller. They likely do this already, because this information is needed for the controller, so that it can implement "smart roaming" (IEEE 802.11k): send the list of suggested nearest APs back to the client for migration between APs.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 852

Replies: 12

Tags

Related Articles