EAP225 distance and speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-06 16:26:07 - last edited 2023-08-11 09:49:35

Hi

I currently have a Ubiquiti Bullet HP with omni antenna as AP and a  Nanostation as Receiver. It's 1050 feet between the AP and the Nanostation.   About the best I can get speed wise is around 40Mbps. Since I now have a 5G router that getting 400-500Mbps I would like more speed to my receiver.

I have to have 2.4Ghz for my wireless cameras and sensors so I am looking at the Omada EAP225 Outdoor APs. One as the AP and one as a receiver. The AP can supply 2.4GHz to my cameras and sensors and then shoot 5.8Ghz to my receiver.    Can I expect to make it 1000' feet? And if so at what speed on 5.8GHz?

If not can you add longer (more gain antennas to the EAP225? just unscrew the old one and add longer one?

Thanks

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:EAP225 distance and speed-Solution
2023-08-07 08:07:19 - last edited 2023-08-11 09:49:40

Hi  @littleboss 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

So I assume that you are using the EAP225-Outdoor?

You can unscrew the antenna and replace it but this is not recommended. We don't recommend users replace the antenna which may cause performance issues. If there is any issue or hardware damage after your replacement of the antenna, we are not obliged to honor the warranty.

The antenna should be dual-band. Interface should be RP-SMA female.

But in theory, you can use an antenna in which the interface is the same. Transmit power is limited to a certain value due to your region. There is nothing we can do to change that.

Like I said, performance is not guaranteed, and a risk of voiding the warranty.

In conclusion, you may try it but there is a risk. Proceed at your own discretion.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-08-07 19:00:15 - last edited 2023-08-11 09:49:35

@littleboss 

Highly unlikely as the EAP225-Outdoors connect to each other only on the 5.8Ghz band for which 1000' is quite the challenge even with non-stock antennae.  You are better sticking with dedicated (ie for this purpose) pt-pt bridge hardware if you are trying to maximize your backhaul throughput.  Typically these come with highly directional antennas and other optimizations to ensure optimal link peformance, not something you are going to get on a sub-$100 AP.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
2023-08-07 08:07:19 - last edited 2023-08-11 09:49:40

Hi  @littleboss 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

So I assume that you are using the EAP225-Outdoor?

You can unscrew the antenna and replace it but this is not recommended. We don't recommend users replace the antenna which may cause performance issues. If there is any issue or hardware damage after your replacement of the antenna, we are not obliged to honor the warranty.

The antenna should be dual-band. Interface should be RP-SMA female.

But in theory, you can use an antenna in which the interface is the same. Transmit power is limited to a certain value due to your region. There is nothing we can do to change that.

Like I said, performance is not guaranteed, and a risk of voiding the warranty.

In conclusion, you may try it but there is a risk. Proceed at your own discretion.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:EAP225 distance and speed
2023-08-07 12:47:56
Hi I haven't bought one yet. Trying to make sure it will cover the 1000' distance and have faster speed than what I already have.
Options
2023-08-07 19:00:15 - last edited 2023-08-11 09:49:35

@littleboss 

Highly unlikely as the EAP225-Outdoors connect to each other only on the 5.8Ghz band for which 1000' is quite the challenge even with non-stock antennae.  You are better sticking with dedicated (ie for this purpose) pt-pt bridge hardware if you are trying to maximize your backhaul throughput.  Typically these come with highly directional antennas and other optimizations to ensure optimal link peformance, not something you are going to get on a sub-$100 AP.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 241

Replies: 3

Related Articles