setting wireguard vpn with er8411

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-16 15:20:33 - last edited 2023-08-17 02:44:46
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I've a current setup of in my company.

- omada 300 controller.

- er8411 router.

- 1x TL-SG3452X.

- 1x TL-SG3428X.

- 3x TL-SG3428XMP.

- 1x EAP670.

I would like to create a wireguard vpn support for my on-the-go people.

I've seen this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxmXvz4DMBM

And it Settings  ~ VPN section there is an entry for Wireguard, where in my oc300 controller I can't see the option:

Any ideas?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:setting wireguard vpn with er8411-Solution
2023-08-17 02:44:32 - last edited 2023-08-17 02:44:46

Hi @Bonesoul 

Thanks for posting in our business forum. 

In the recent firmware upgrade, Wireguard was added. Check your firmware version. If it is not V1.1.0, then you should upgrade your ER8411.

Moreover, the Controller should be compatible with the firmware as well.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:setting wireguard vpn with er8411-Solution
2023-08-17 02:44:32 - last edited 2023-08-17 02:44:46

Hi @Bonesoul 

In the recent firmware upgrade, Wireguard was added. Check your firmware version. If it is not V1.1.0, then you should upgrade your ER8411.

Moreover, the Controller should be compatible with the firmware as well.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:setting wireguard vpn with er8411
2023-08-17 09:45:17 - last edited 2023-08-17 09:45:39

@Clive_A 

I've purchased my equipments from Turkey and following the instructions I do only try to follow the firmware list from the Turkish tp-link site which lists the latest firmwares for ER8411 as:

The global site you linked says

Please upgrade firmware from the local TP-Link official website of the purchase location for your TP-Link device, otherwise it will be against the warranty. Please click here to change site if necessary.

So is it okay for me to use this firmware from global site? 

If I should be waiting for the local TP-Link site (Turkish) any ideas when  V1.1.0 will be pushed to it?

Options
2023-08-17 14:42:37

I've upgraded my router to 1.1.0 and I can now see the wireguard option.

Though I couldn't find an up-to-date documentation for the feature.

What IP adreess should I be entering for the Local IP Address section? Wan interface's local address?

Yet again I've also instealled omada vpn client from here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/er8411/v1/#Firmwarehttps://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/er8411/v1/#Firmware

IP: Should be WAN IP?

Public key: from the wireguard configuration section.

IP Address: An vlan ip from my configuration?

Private key: from peer configuration?

Public key: from peer configuration?

And yet again can I create a vlan for my vpn clients and assign an IP address from the dhcp pool or should I specifiy the IP manually from the vlan's range?

Options
2023-08-18 01:04:16

Hi @Bonesoul 

First, you can download firmware from the global site but this only applies to devices without wireless capability.

You can refer to the document: How to configure WireGuard VPN on Omada Router in Standalone mode?

Pay attention to your IP on the router, which is a private IP address. You should port forward on your modem router.

Options
2023-08-18 03:57:53

Okay I'll be fixing the port forwarding but I still have the question:

Which IP should I be entering the in the Local IP Address field?

My routers LAN IP? In this case the actual LAN IP or the LAN IP of the WAN port?

Options
2023-08-18 04:06:28

Okay got it. Used an free LAN IP from default vlan (1).

Options
2023-08-18 04:24:30

One last thing now.

I can connect the wireguard VPN using the official wireguard client and it's all good.

Though I also tested Omada VPN client and configured similary even though it's shows connected, actually there is no connection on my local PC to VPN.

any ideas?

Options
2023-08-18 16:50:23

okay my issue was related to this: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/607558?replyId=1241338

---

But the problem is that from the client side (my windows machine) I can only access nodes within the default VLAN (1).

But I need to be able to access nodes with in my vlans. Any ideas?

Options
2023-08-18 17:00:08

Okay also fixed the issue, just added vlans i want to access to wireguard client in [Peer] AllowedIPs = section.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1051

Replies: 9

Tags

Related Articles