FireTV and PlayStation mDNS across VLANs not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-16 21:27:32 - last edited 2023-08-17 06:46:58
Tags: #mDNS

ER605 v2.0 (2.1.2 Build 20230210 Rel.62992)

TL-SG2210P v5.0 (5.0.6 Build 20230602 Rel.73473)

OC200 v5.9.32 (1.24.0 Build 20230328 Rel.52384)

EAP610(EU) v3.0 (1.3.2 Build 20230414 Rel. 54437)

Hi everyone. I bough myself a TP-Link system and never had anything like this before. So i am a newbie.

Currently i have 4 VLANs:

IoT: Fire TV Sticks and stuff

Entertainment: PS4, XBOX, Switch

Home: PC, mobile phone

Guest: guest-devices

My problem with this is:

I want to cast YouTube from my phone (Home VLAN) to my Fire TV (IoT VLAN). And i want guests (Guest VLAN) to find my PS4 (Entertainment VLAN) to play PlayLink-Games with me.
Even with mDNS configured it is not working. I added "_amzn-wplay._tcp.local" to my Bonjour Services and it is still not working.

I read a lot about this on this forum. Looks like i am not the only one with this problem. Most people talk about chromecast devices rather than Fire TV devices, but i dont have any chromecast devices here to test. After a long search i installed avahi (as mDNS repeater) on a raspberry pi and added it to the system. It doesnt work either. What am i doing wrong? Most of the devices are connected via WiFi via EAP610.

Everything is on the newest version and there are no updates available.

My mDNS configuration:

my Bonjour Services:

Options
6 Reply
Re:FireTV and PlayStation mDNS across VLANs not working
2023-08-17 00:19:48 - last edited 2023-08-17 03:37:49

I upgraded my devices. Still not working. Even checked the Multicast Filtering for all my Wireless Networks.

Options
2023-08-17 07:04:55

Hi @DivineJimmi 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Since some people reported that their mDNS works after a reset of the router, if possible, can you reset the router? Only resetting the router doesn't affect your other parameters on the controller. You can readopt the ER605 after the reset.

BTW, if you put the devices in the same VLAN, can you discover each other?

Can you use gateway mDNS and set the multicast/broadcast management to default?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-08-17 14:11:04

Hi @Clive_A,

i did reset the ER605. I even reset the Switch, the OC200 and my APs. I configured as you said. It is still not working.
When having all devices in the same VLAN theres no problem discovering each other.

Options
2023-08-18 06:14:54

Hi @DivineJimmi 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

About your Multicast/broadcast management, did you modify it again?

This is the default. Can you try the default settings?

If you cannot discovery, disable Multicast-to-unicast.

In the meantime, make sure you create Bonjour Service for Amazon firestick.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-08-18 07:18:22 - last edited 2023-08-18 13:30:34

Hi @Clive_A,

i already had a Fire TV Bonjour Service with _amzn-wplay._tcp.local as a service ID.

Before you answered i only configured my mDNS rules, nothing else.
Now i unchecked multicast to unicast. No success either. I did the following change to these WLANs: Guest, Home and Smart (IoT).

My mDNS Service looks like this:

I don't know. But i am sure i am clearly missing anything. Do i need any other ACL rule or stuff like that? I am not that deep into networking, so my understanding in this is very limited.

Do i need to tag any LANs or WLANs? And if so, how? Righ now they are only added to specific VLANs with different IPs 192.168.20.x for IoT 192.168.10.X for Home, 192.168.100.x for Guests.

Options
2023-08-18 14:04:49 - last edited 2023-08-18 14:05:35

Now i upgraded my EAP610s to EAP653s (Firmware: 1.0.6 Build 20230423 Rel. 81483) and still no change.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 866

Replies: 6

Tags

Related Articles