DNS Server failover

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

DNS Server failover

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
DNS Server failover
DNS Server failover
2023-08-30 19:26:18
Model: ER7212PC  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi,

Right now my network is build with Mikrotik RB2011iL as main router and 2x Mikrotik hAP AC3 as APs. Since Mikrotik's wifi is not that good I am thinking about replacing the APs with EAP610 and possibly with ER7212PC router. I might leave RB2011iL and only replace the APs but this would make the configuration a bit more complex, as I'm using 4 wifi SSIDs with different VLANS, mDNS, IPV6 and IPV4. Anyway, one of the things I need to setup is a failover DNS server (not dual WAN, or load-balancing). It's easy to achieve on Mikrotik with a script. The question is, is it possible with Tp-Link Omada router software. I use a custom DNS server (actually two, in case one fails, but the IP stays the same) and in case those custom servers fail, the router should switch to one of Google, Cloudflare or any other globally available ones. And of course switch back to the custom one, once it comes back.

Options
1 Reply
Re:DNS Server failover
2023-08-31 01:51:36

Hi @Nashaden 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

We don't support hosting local DNS servers. If you have built a DNS server, then you can put the primary DNS and secondary DNS.

If both LAN DNS fail, DNS would resolve by the cache or not resolve successfully and forward it to the WAN DNS for resolving.

If you expect a powerful setup, I would not recommend ER7212PC. Get a traditional router, switch, and AP setup. FOr more specs and performance, see the specs or datasheet of it.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 255

Replies: 1

Related Articles