Network Design for Small Business

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-30 23:37:48 - last edited 2024-01-26 02:43:30
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Current Network:

• 1 switch which everything is connected to, it is unmanaged, no PoE, 1G, a TL-SG1048.
  • I do already have the TL-SG1218MPE for the VOIP cameras but it has not been put into use yet.

New Network:

• TL-SX3206HPP, the primary switch is a full-on 10G device with SFP+, with enough ports to connect both of my servers, the firewall and one port unused.
  • TL-SG3452XP, the secondary switch is a 1G switch with 10G SFP+ Uplink to connect to the primary switch, PoE for VOIP
  • TL-SG1218MPE, VOIP switch uplinked to the primary router with SFP (can I connect SFP uplink to SFP+ uplink?)

Goals with the New Network:

• 10G communication between the two servers
  • Expand available ports
  • PoE for VOIP handsets
  • Managed Switch: QoS for VOIP, de-prioritize access from Access Points if possible

Looking for any input on this design which I came up with, I an not experienced with network design, so hoping to get an OK or pointing out of any issues.

Thank you!

2eb7849017cd426a97fbb9dfb08fe178

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Network Design for Small Business-Solution
2023-08-31 02:09:17 - last edited 2024-01-26 02:43:30

Hi @CabinetCompany 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

It's a pretty good diagram. I don't see anything wrong with it. It follows the structure of the core switch and access layer. If you use the 3452 as the access layer, that's fine. Not sure how big is your network and how it will develop, probably use a 3452P as the core. I can understand you need 10G but is the server on 10G? If not, you can save some money from using SFP+. (10G is future-proof. Up to you and your budget)

Did not catch the footnote. Sorry. 10G is fine, that's it.

You can use the SFP of 1218MPE as uplink. Our SFP+ is compatible with SFP. So, rest assured.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-08-31 19:29:38 - last edited 2024-01-26 02:43:33

@CabinetCompany 

I like your approach and actually I have a similar setup, all 10Gb at the core and even two servers connected to it. However my primary goal was different. I wanted 10Gb connections between my switches and some redundancy. So, I have a stack of two switches at the core. The access switches and the servers are connected to both switches in the stack with LACP LAGs. If one of the switches in the stack fails, my network will be still functional. I also did not bet on one big access switch. Instead I have two smaller ones and some spare ports on both. If one of those access switches fails, I can move most important devices from it to the other one.

Kris K
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
2023-08-31 02:09:17 - last edited 2024-01-26 02:43:30

Hi @CabinetCompany 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

It's a pretty good diagram. I don't see anything wrong with it. It follows the structure of the core switch and access layer. If you use the 3452 as the access layer, that's fine. Not sure how big is your network and how it will develop, probably use a 3452P as the core. I can understand you need 10G but is the server on 10G? If not, you can save some money from using SFP+. (10G is future-proof. Up to you and your budget)

Did not catch the footnote. Sorry. 10G is fine, that's it.

You can use the SFP of 1218MPE as uplink. Our SFP+ is compatible with SFP. So, rest assured.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Network Design for Small Business
2023-08-31 15:49:33

@Clive_A 

Thanks Clive!

Kind of to your point, if I used the 3452 as the primary switch and not the 3206, could I connect the two servers together at 10G without a switch? I don't really need 10G network speeds - but I could benefit from much faster than 1G connection between the two servers.

Options
2023-08-31 19:29:38 - last edited 2024-01-26 02:43:33

@CabinetCompany 

I like your approach and actually I have a similar setup, all 10Gb at the core and even two servers connected to it. However my primary goal was different. I wanted 10Gb connections between my switches and some redundancy. So, I have a stack of two switches at the core. The access switches and the servers are connected to both switches in the stack with LACP LAGs. If one of the switches in the stack fails, my network will be still functional. I also did not bet on one big access switch. Instead I have two smaller ones and some spare ports on both. If one of those access switches fails, I can move most important devices from it to the other one.

Kris K
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 461

Replies: 3

Related Articles