No internet access in the whole network after one particular device is connected

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

No internet access in the whole network after one particular device is connected

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-02 20:11:55
Model: ER7212PC   TL-SG2428P   EAP610  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20230803 Rel.83667

Hi,

My network is experiencing Internet loss since the last firmware update. Now 5-10 minutes after a Dell Latitude 3420 with Windows 11 is connected to the network it causes Internet access to crash. It makes no difference if it is connected via ethernet or WiFi. I also have 2 EAP610 APs in my setup, and HikVision Doorcam with indoor station, and some other devices like NAS, and few PCs. I also have VIGI NVR and VIGI Cameras connected to the SG2428P, but I was told that this might be causing the problem and since im just learning on how to use and configure VLANs I have switched the switch off :) Unfortunately that did not provide solution to my problem :(

I had no troubles on the previous firmware - literally no crashes over 3 months of uninterrupted work. How can I troubleshoot my network?

Options
4 Reply
Re:No internet access in the whole network after one particular device is connected
2023-09-02 21:41:04

@Mihau 

You are probably doing some heavy multicasting, but you do not control it. Just turning on RSTP will not solve that problem. Some configuration needs to be performed.

If you do multicasting, do you really need it? I have an NVR with 8 cameras connected to it. I played with multicasting in my surveillance VLAN a while ago. I got it working but, after a while, I realized that I do not really need it. Unicast is just fine for my use case and produces less traffic. I do not remember much from that exercise, but the lesson I’ve learnt is this. Multicasting from cameras to a NVR is not needed at all. Multicasting from an NVR makes sense only when you have many devices watching the video feed from it simultaneously.

Kris K
Options
Re:No internet access in the whole network after one particular device is connected
2023-09-03 15:32:24

@Mihau 

Like in the previous post... turn off loop protection and turn on STP.  RSTP is STP on steroids.  Sometimes it fires off too quickly, STP usually plays happier.  

Since it's a dell… I'm sure it has an Intel NIC and Wi-Fi card. Go to Intel's site and download/install the newest drivers.  Windows Updates can be a tad behind in hardware/vendor updates.  Even update the BIOS on the dell machine.  

With that said... if the nic/wifi card is faulty, it can become "chatty" and blow up the errors logs in the switch.  Usually when this happens, STP fires off and blocks the port.  If STP isn't enabled, a L2 crash can happen.  Logs get filled, switch locks up/reboots, and it runs out of memory.  Which sounds like what is happening.  Updating firmware/bios usually can fix this.  If it's a known issue.... like I said, it maybe a fault NIC/wireless card.  Try a USB NIC / USB wireless dongle and see what happens.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-09-03 19:10:25

@KJK, @KimcheeGUN 

So I gotta learn what is RSTP and STP :) I am using that in my home network, maybe it is a little overkill, but I got the devices at a very attractive price and I am a little geeky so 1+1 equals Omada in my home :D Never had any experience with business networks - just regular routers and stuff, but man gotta learn :)

All my cameras had multicast turned off. I have them linked to VIGI NVR1008H and that is all. Now all IPCams are turned off, as well as switch and NVR.

But I have found out that the Internet loss is occuring due to DNS issues. Every time that the Dell laptop was turned on, my whole network like forgot that there is DNS from ISP. Now I have set it manually to Google all 8's and Cloudflare all 1's, and it have seem to solve the problem.

Options
2023-09-03 19:51:28

@Mihau 

How a DNS setting of a single device can affect the whole network is beyond me. Maybe it is an IP conflict between your Dell and the router. Check the DHCP pool settings on your router and make sure it does not include the router’s IP address.

Kris K
Options