EAP245 On Vlan Has No Internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-04 11:14:26 - last edited 2023-09-04 14:51:46
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all.

Hoping someone could shed some light on this for me. A rundown of the network.

1x OC200

1x ER7206 gateway

1x SG2210P switch

4x EAP245 access points

Scenario is that we have 4 companies in the same building and each needs to have their own Vlan. We configured a LAN with, let's say Vlan ID 40. Created a WLAN and assigned Vlan 40. Said company uses the EAP245 that is plugged into port 5 of the switch and therefor we added the profile of Vlan 40 to this port. We also enabled the Vlan 40 interface on the switch. The EAP245 reboots and its new IP address is within the 40 Vlan. However, there is no internet. We don't have anything set within the firewall or ACL that I am aware of. If we connect something to the EAP245 bridging port we are given an IP in the 40 Vlan and internet works. Just not when connecting to the EAP245.

When we set port 5 of the switch back to the 'all' profile internet works.

EDIT. Doing further research I often see this line being mentioned. "Do not apply the profiles to ports with EAP connected. Otherwise, the wireless clients of the EAP will fail to connect to the internet." Surely this cannot be the reason we aren't able to connect to the internet via the AP? If this is the case, is there a way for us to 'disconnect' said EAP from the port to set the profile without physically having to disconnect the LAN cable?

Any suggestions? 

Options
6 Reply
Re:EAP245 On Vlan Has No Internet
2023-09-04 15:50:19

@bruskieZA 

Hey

Sounds like you are on the right path (last paragraph)

In short, static VLANs like VLAN40 in your case should only be applied to a switch port that is connected directly to a endpoint (PC, Laptop etc).  If the port is connected to an AP, this needs to be a trunk port.  

In the short reasoning, if you tell the switchport to only accept VLAN40 traffic, the AP cant talk to the switch as it needs to handle more than just the clients VLAN40 traffic, it also needs routing and management, other SSIDs etc..  therefore needs to be a trunk port.  

Ok so below is a screenie of my AP Port Profile (literally called APs Profile).    The native network is LAN as thats the network the AP is getting its IP and Management from, the Tagged Networks are the 3 SSIDs that i want to allow traffic (each seperate vlan) through the AP to the switch.   Untagged is the local AP to Switch traffic (again LAN)

So you would need Native : LAN (or whatever your mangement is)...   Tagged as VLAN40 and others if you have...   untagged same as Native..

Then just add the VLAN number into the SSID setup under WiFi.  

If you create this profile and apply it to the port on your switch, it should work within a few seconds.

Options
2023-09-04 20:03:49

@Philbert Thanks for this. I will create a new profile as I am not able to save changes to the profile the system creates for each Vlan. I forgot to mention that I need the bridging port to provide IP ranges within that Vlan40 as the client will have a switch connected to this EAP245 bridging port to connect printers etc.

Options
2023-09-04 22:20:33

@bruskieZA 

Hey

Yeah you cant edit the default created profiles so just create a new one, thats what I did

In terms of using the 2nd LAN Port, this isnt going to allow you place a VLAN on that port as the 2nd LAN port is really only for uplinking to another AP.   Anything connected to this port would be on the management / trunk network and not the VLAN40

You would be better reconsidering your networking setup rather than using this port for a switch.

Options
2023-09-05 05:04:03

@Philbert unfortunately we are very limited in certain areas of the building on what we can pull through. In this case one LAN is the only option. 

Are there any TP Link Omada access points that have a secondary port that allows for Vlan?

Options
2023-09-06 16:38:36

@bruskieZA 

Sadly none of the APs have a switch / vlan feature built in, however in fairness compeditors dont do this either (to the best of my knowledge)

However, if you have a cable in that area (area of AP), what about putting a cheap 8 port switch in there and then running the AP and printers off it instead?   Something like the SG2008P would be perfect and that way you can have the printers on port1 VLAN40 and AP on Port8 trunked etc etc..  I have sneaked switches into roof tiles before to overcome issues like this, may be an option?

Options
2023-09-07 05:15:12

@Philbert yea, was thinking the same but found a super quick solution and bought a basic wireless to lan and plugged the printer in. Cheap and works like a dream. Printer doesn't need much to operate thank goodness.

Appreciate all the assistance.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 385

Replies: 6

Related Articles