New Omada Controller, Existing Hardware... Do I need to start from scratch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-10 19:19:01
Model: OC200   ER605 (TL-R605)   SG2008P  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I was using a software controller version on a Raspberry Pi and, for some reason, never went through the effort of creating a backup of my Omada Controller settings.  Long story short, the SD Card in my Raspberry Pi got corrupted and it appears all data are complete lost.  Is there a way to install a new controller and adopt the existing hardware without completely starting from scratch?

To complicate the matter, in order to adopt the existing hardware, I need the passwords.  Does the Omada Controller create new passwords for the devices when it manages them?  None of the passwords I wrote down for the hardware seem to work.

I've pretty much resigned to needing to completely reconfigure my network but wanted to check with the forum first.

Options
8 Reply
Re:New Omada Controller, Existing Hardware... Do I need to start from scratch?
2023-09-10 23:28:07

@Gone_Fishing 

Hey

When you adopt the APs / Switches it sets a password for the controller, so in theory if you knew this then you could readopt. 

However, its pointless without a backup of the config as the controller will just wipe the APs when adopted anyways, so sorry yeah you need to reconfigure if you dont have a backup :(

Options
2023-10-27 10:50:24
Which config needs to be backed up? I'm new to this Omada SDN platform. Thank you so much. Is it the backup from migrating a site or moving controllers? or the is it the individual devices?
Options
2023-10-27 19:49:25

@FlameOtter 

The backup basically just saves the existing config and setup of the controller.   Therefore should it fail / be replaced / upgraded etc you can just restore the backup onto the new device, its also a good idea to take a backup before updating the controller (just for safety)

In the backup it will have all the settings, configs and adopted devices so once restored you should be back to normal quickly with no re-configuring.

Backup can be done via the controller gui, just save it to your PC or Pendrive

Options
2023-10-27 20:14:28

@Philbert 

Thank you.

Do you know if you can do this offsite?

For example, I want to setup a router and OC200 or on a software controller before bringing into a site.

I'm not sure if I'm able to connect and setup an Omada SDN offsite. 

Can I setup a router and controller offsite or make backups of existing ones are restore to new systems I have?

Hope that makes sense.

Kind of like imaging. Or is it going to be tied to MAC Addresses and or hardware signatures.

Thanks

Options
2023-10-27 20:31:32

@FlameOtter 

The backup is hardware neutral, therefore you can use the same restored backup on OC200 / OC300 / Software Controllers many times if you wish... with one caveat.. in the backup it saves the currently connected APs / Switches etc

So you backup site 1 with AP1, restore this to site 2 with AP2.. it will restore the WiFi settings etc.. but wont adopt AP2 as its not known in the backup.  However if you manually adopt AP2 after you restore, it will work fine

Hope that makes sense??

In terms of remote backup.. Personally i have backed up via VPN (connect to network, navigate to controller and save over the VPN).   OR   if you have a v2 oc200 then plug in a pen drive and set to auto backup   daily/weekly/whenever

Options
2023-10-27 20:36:31

@Philbert 

Thanks I think I am starting to understand.

For example I had setup everything with a software controller to test things out. I migrated one device to an OC200. When I messed things up by setting the wrong ip addresses on the router I reset the device and paired it back to the Software controller and some of the previous settings were still there like IP address binding.

Thanks so much.

Yeah the backup, I think needs to be done via the IP address and can't be done from the omada controller unless it's to a file server. I am still getting used to things and can't find my way back to some settings consistently yet.

Hopefully I'll get used to it as I navigate through it more.

Options
2023-10-27 20:45:46 - last edited 2023-10-27 20:46:57

@FlameOtter 

Thanks I think I am starting to understand.

No worries mate, more than happy to help!

For example I had setup everything with a software controller to test things out. I migrated one device to an OC200. When I messed things up by setting the wrong ip addresses on the router I reset the device and paired it back to the Software controller and some of the previous settings were still there like IP address binding.

Thanks so much.

Yes..  basically when you adopt a device to the controller it becomes a dumb device, namely ALL the settings for that device are saved on the controller.  The device after every reboot will ask the controller for this config and re-configure itself.  Its the same for APs / Switch and routers.    Think about a school or business setting, it means also if anyone steals one of the APs hoping to get its password or config, its useless without the controller and has no config for them to try and steal from it.  Its literally dumb..

Yeah the backup, I think needs to be done via the IP address and can't be done from the omada controller unless it's to a file server. I am still getting used to things and can't find my way back to some settings consistently yet.

Hopefully I'll get used to it as I navigate through it more.

You can go the gui of the oc200 and save the config locally to the PC / Laptop you are using.. thats what i do.   OR   if you have a v2 oc200 (with front usb) then plug in a pendrive and setup autobackup

Options
2023-10-27 21:03:40 - last edited 2023-10-27 21:45:51

@Philbert 

Thanks for answering those questions.

Although on the last answer. I have the OC200 Version 1 and can confirm that it allows auto backup to a USB drive. It probably has something to do with the newer firmwares possible.

I'll be needing to get 2 more OC200, seems like stock has been dwindling where I am lately with more en route soon. I can't make sure I'll get V1 or V2 of OC200, but I read they were due to chip shortage changes more than functionality but I could be wrong.

Thanks again.

I'm going to add this here.

I"m wondering if I can setup a new Device to a Omada Controller locally. Go through the migrate and download a backup. 

Setup another controller on site and restore from the backup file. Connect the device I setup and configure the small nuances.

Would something like this work or would it force me to set up from scratch?

I'll test it out I guess..

Options