8 Wan Port Load Balancing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-11 12:21:40 - last edited 2023-09-13 07:28:47
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

Hello everyone;

I have an ER8411 v1.0 model router.

I use 8 ISPs. I connected these to 8 wan port but my internet speed is slow!

1WAN = 100/20Mbps
8 WANs = 800/160Mbps

But the result is very different. I am getting very low speed. What's the problem?

The settings are as follows...

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:8 Wan Port Load Balancing-Solution
2023-09-13 01:14:29 - last edited 2023-09-13 07:28:47

Hi @Addwork 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Addwork wrote

Hi  @Clive_A
I tested the WAN ports one by one. Each shows 100/20 speed. When I balance the load it shows 400/80.

When I change the number of Wans to 4 or 5 instead of 8, the speed is the same.

My question is: Why am I stuck at 400? Why 700-800/100 etc. I can't get speed?

So, you misunderstand how load balance works. This is the wrong direction.

First, understand what's load balance and what's been load balanced.

Second, the speed test site uses sessions to download and upload to their servers and servers reply the final results. And it's displayed on your screen telling your speed.

So, based on this fact, you refer to the FAQ I have sent, it has clearly explained the reason behind and why you would see a non-aggregated speed.

I would appreciate it if you could take a second to read this, quote:

If your total bandwidth is not high, say below 100 Mbps, then the test results may match; conversely, if the bandwidth is higher, then the probability of matching is much lower.

This is related to the Speedtestâ mechanism and the router’s load balancing algorithm. During the Downstream/Upstream test, your client will create several sessions with the Speedtestâ servers. When the router receives requests to create sessions, it will forward them via different WAN ports, which is achieved by the load balancing algorithm.

TP-Link business routers use a probability-based load balancing algorithm. Take dual WAN ports as an example, the probability of forwarding a new session through each WAN is 1/2. When performing a speed test, the number of sessions that your client connects to the Speedtestâ server will not be large, maybe no more than 20. In terms of Probability, a sample size of a few dozen connections is very small. Assuming you toss a coin 20 times, it is likely that there will be many more on one side than the other.

Suppose there are 10 sessions during the test period, the maximum bandwidth that each session can accommodate is 10 Mbps, and the bandwidth of both two WANs is 50 Mbps, then your total bandwidth is 100 Mbps. If 5 sessions are forwarded via WAN1, the other 5 sessions are via WAN2, then the test result should be 50 + 50 = 100 Mbps, the same as your total bandwidth. But maybe 8 sessions are via WAN1, the other 2 sessions are via WAN2, then the test result should be 50 + 20 = 70 Mbps, much lower than the bandwidth.

Have you taken into consideration this and tried to understand this paragraph? This is the reason why and well answered your question. I assume that the speed test site created four sessions with four of your lines and eventually you get a 400Mbps.

There is no place to change the algorithm. It's preset.

If your expectation is to get an aggregated speed, you can return it as it does not fit your purpose. There is no guarantee from us that you can get aggregated speed of all the WANs. The device itself can handle all of the speed and sessions on your WANs. And balance between the WANs but not designed to be used in that way in the first place. This aggregated speed is only a side benefit of sessions being balanced.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:8 Wan Port Load Balancing
2023-09-12 01:33:27

Hi @Addwork 

This is an ambiguous question. Your session could be balanced in 8 ISP. If you want to verify if the ISP is supplying you with the 800Mbps, do the Policy Routing for this test computer. And run the test again.

Why failing to achieve bandwidth aggregation of multiple WAN ports by Speedtest on SMB router

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-09-12 08:10:22

@Clive_A 

I read the article, thank you.

I'm the only person on the network. There is no other computer.

When the number of WANs is 4, my speed is the same. Even though there are 8 WANs, my speed is the same! How can this happen?

My old device is er5120. I just bought the ER8411 device and my goal is higher internet speed. I don't understand what's wrong with the theory!

Options
2023-09-12 09:26:34

Hi @Addwork 

Would appreciate it if you could organize your question and send it again. My understanding of your question now is that you expect to see an aggregated speed instead of being stuck on 400Mbps while you expect to have 400Mbps plus more speed from other WANs. Do I understand you right?

Policy Routing is only to prove that your network actually has more speed than a single WAN. Sessions from a single computer may or may not always balanced and add your speed up. I think you missed my point.

Options
2023-09-12 09:42:15

Hi  @Clive_A
I tested the WAN ports one by one. Each shows 100/20 speed. When I balance the load it shows 400/80.

Options
2023-09-12 18:20:11

@Addwork 

I THINK you are asking about BONDING... combining all the WAN together into 1 WAN speed.

Only a few vendors do bonding... and it cost a lot of $$.  High end vendors.

Load Balancing ISN'T bonding.  

The only affordable vendor that DOES a hybrid bonding is Peplink.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-09-12 18:50:46

Hi   @KimcheeGUN 

TP-Link does it too...
I was doing this before. There are also speed bonding. They bonding gigabit speeds with an SFP module.

Options
2023-09-12 19:05:26

@Addwork 

Uh hold up... that is done from the speedtest site, not from Omada Router.  The router itself isn't bonding the speeds.  

The speedtest site combines the total data into 1 amount.  

This is not official bonding... speed bonding is done by the speed test site.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-09-12 19:25:36

@KimcheeGUN 

So how will I see real results? What is my internet speed now? How can I find out the real values?

Options
Re:8 Wan Port Load Balancing-Solution
2023-09-13 01:14:29 - last edited 2023-09-13 07:28:47

Hi @Addwork 

Addwork wrote

Hi  @Clive_A

So, you misunderstand how load balance works. This is the wrong direction.

First, understand what's load balance and what's been load balanced.

Second, the speed test site uses sessions to download and upload to their servers and servers reply the final results. And it's displayed on your screen telling your speed.

So, based on this fact, you refer to the FAQ I have sent, it has clearly explained the reason behind and why you would see a non-aggregated speed.

I would appreciate it if you could take a second to read this, quote:

If your total bandwidth is not high, say below 100 Mbps, then the test results may match; conversely, if the bandwidth is higher, then the probability of matching is much lower.

This is related to the Speedtestâ mechanism and the router’s load balancing algorithm. During the Downstream/Upstream test, your client will create several sessions with the Speedtestâ servers. When the router receives requests to create sessions, it will forward them via different WAN ports, which is achieved by the load balancing algorithm.

TP-Link business routers use a probability-based load balancing algorithm. Take dual WAN ports as an example, the probability of forwarding a new session through each WAN is 1/2. When performing a speed test, the number of sessions that your client connects to the Speedtestâ server will not be large, maybe no more than 20. In terms of Probability, a sample size of a few dozen connections is very small. Assuming you toss a coin 20 times, it is likely that there will be many more on one side than the other.

Suppose there are 10 sessions during the test period, the maximum bandwidth that each session can accommodate is 10 Mbps, and the bandwidth of both two WANs is 50 Mbps, then your total bandwidth is 100 Mbps. If 5 sessions are forwarded via WAN1, the other 5 sessions are via WAN2, then the test result should be 50 + 50 = 100 Mbps, the same as your total bandwidth. But maybe 8 sessions are via WAN1, the other 2 sessions are via WAN2, then the test result should be 50 + 20 = 70 Mbps, much lower than the bandwidth.

Have you taken into consideration this and tried to understand this paragraph? This is the reason why and well answered your question. I assume that the speed test site created four sessions with four of your lines and eventually you get a 400Mbps.

There is no place to change the algorithm. It's preset.

If your expectation is to get an aggregated speed, you can return it as it does not fit your purpose. There is no guarantee from us that you can get aggregated speed of all the WANs. The device itself can handle all of the speed and sessions on your WANs. And balance between the WANs but not designed to be used in that way in the first place. This aggregated speed is only a side benefit of sessions being balanced.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-09-13 07:28:40

Hi @Clive_A 

I understand very well, thank you for the explanation.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 555

Replies: 10

Related Articles