Very slow VPN speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Very slow VPN speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
34 Reply
Re:Very slow VPN speed
2023-09-13 06:49:12

Hi @MR.S 

MR.S wrote

@Libik 

I have two ER707-M2, they perform very well on IPsec Site to Site. I have a 500/500 Mbps line and it works fine on S2S. so it's a bit strange that L2TP is so bad.
I know there are many parameters when it comes to VPN, so slowness can be many places along the way.

Do you have a UDM or is it UDM Pro? UDM is a little weaker, so there may also be some limitations on it. If you have UDM Pro, I think it is the same hardware as UXG-Pro

Is your router behind another router? if you have the opportunity to do so, you can try to disconnect this so that you get a public IP on the ER707

@Clive_A when you test in lab do you get Encrypted 561.0 Mbps on L2TP. 

Since I don't have ER707-M2 for test now, I ran a test with ER605 V2 and L2TP VPN with the encrypted tunnel, I got a 63Mbps speed. 10Mbps less than the datasheet. I think 707-M2 should not be too off from the datasheet.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-09-13 06:53:11

Hi @MR.S 

MR.S wrote

@Libik @Clive_A 

Its something strange, when I do Site To Site with much stronger encryption than L2TP the speed is almost 80MB/s

On S2S I use this encryption

SHA-384 - AES256 - DH14
ESP - SHA-384 - AES256

This test is done with ER707-M2 and remote is a Cisco FPR-1120

This is the correct value on computer science.. Mb to MB, you need to do the math.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-09-13 07:03:06

@Clive_A 

Yes you have right. and i know, but this is Site to Site not L2TP. Sit To Site is very good but not L2TP, L2TP do abut 80-120 Mbps Not 650Mbps as Site to site do.

Clive_A wrote

Hi @MR.S 

MR.S wrote

@Libik @Clive_A 

Its something strange, when I do Site To Site with much stronger encryption than L2TP the speed is almost 80MB/s

On S2S I use this encryption

SHA-384 - AES256 - DH14
ESP - SHA-384 - AES256

This test is done with ER707-M2 and remote is a Cisco FPR-1120

This is the correct value on computer science.. Mb to MB, you need to do the math.

Options
2023-09-13 07:09:23

Hi @MR.S @Libik 

MR.S wrote

@Clive_A 

Yes you have right. and i know, but this is Site to Site not L2TP. Sit To Site is very good but not L2TP, L2TP do abut 80-120 Mbps Not 650Mbps as Site to site do.

My hands are tied because I don't have two 707-M2 for tests. If you have two, you can set it up in the LAN environment and run the test, iperf would be recommended for the test.

I am pretty much reaching the limit with this command. iperf3 -c server_ip -i 1

If you suspect this data is inaccurate, you may perform the test. As far as I know, the team told me the test is done similar environment to test its hardware limit and produce the performance data.

Options
2023-09-13 12:02:01

@Clive_A 

I have two but in difference location, there is Site to Site between this two ER707-M2 now  with very good speed 500/500Mbps that is max on my home net, if i have time I next weekend I can remove site to site and configure L2TP between site to test. 

Options
2023-09-13 12:02:02

@MR.S 

This looks nice but i do not think it is in encryption algorithm, because PPTP is thé slowest in my situation.

Options
2023-09-13 13:16:33

@Libik 

There must be somthing elst that slow down your vpn.

I configure one ER707 as PPTP-Server and the other ER707 as PPTP-Client and when I copy a file i get 130-150Mbps not grate but OK.  

When I rout all trafic thrue PPTP tunnel and out on remote site I have this speed

Options
2023-09-16 05:25:47 - last edited 2023-09-16 05:28:15

Clive_A wrote

Hi @MR.S @Libik 

MR.S wrote

@Clive_A 

My hands are tied because I don't have two 707-M2 for tests. If you have two, you can set it up in the LAN environment and run the test, iperf would be recommended for the test.

I am pretty much reaching the limit with this command. iperf3 -c server_ip -i 1

If you suspect this data is inaccurate, you may perform the test. As far as I know, the team told me the test is done similar environment to test its hardware limit and produce the performance data.

@Clive_A 

OK, @Clive_A I do some testing between two ER707-M2,  they is in different location so this is real life test.

IPsec Site to Site and L2TP about the same when testing 350-500 Mbps (if I test between ER707-m2 and Cisco FPR1120 or ASA5515 the speed is mutch mutch faster)
PPTP is mutch slower 130-140 Mbps

use the strongest encryption on S2S so speed is very good on this device with IPsec.

So in short, I think ER707-M2 is a very good device for IPsec VPN, OpenVPN is even bether and faster than ER8411 to :-) but TP-Link have a big job to do with OpenVPN compatibility

and speed, 

@Libik 

How is your status on your VPN issue. I think you should ask TP-Link support about help to look at your problem. I don't understand why everything go so slow for you.

there must bes something other than ER707-M2 that slow down VPN speed.

Options
2023-09-16 07:31:02 - last edited 2023-09-16 07:39:59

@MR.S 

Hi,

same bad results for me. Now I am thinking about returning device a look somewhere else. I am in contact with support. Maybe they will advice something. I have one week left for returning device.

Here is my configuration, I do not know what else I can do. I do not use any other routing, VLAN, etc. I just want several VPN tunnels (which could aggregate my internet connection) and a VPN server in a price around 250Euros. If I select routing instead of NAT, I cannot access remote server IP at all.

VPN L2TP Setup

Options
2023-09-16 08:13:37

@Libik 

its not much to configure on router vpn client so the problem is not there.

routing work probably only if you have omada router in both end, you have to crate a user with Network Extension Mode enabled in l2tp server to get this to work. then you have a site to site on a l2tp or pptp

to be honest I don't think your problem is solved with a other brand. ER707 is very fast vpn router for the price. and much faster than udm-pro or uxg-pro. I have tested them all.

unifi have more vpn support now than earlier but have only openvpn client, there is no l2tp or pptp client on unifi any more. anyhow, unifi had never l2tp client only pptp on the old usg-pro and usg3p routers.

sorry that i cant help you, if you figure out of this you have to update this thread :-) you have a strange issue no question about that.

Options

Tags

Related Articles