ER707-M2 cannot login to gateway (first configuration)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-14 02:24:21 - last edited 2023-09-18 06:04:39
Model: ER707-M2 Ā 
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I've just got my ER707-M2 delivered today and was trying to configure the router as much as I could before replacing our old router.

I connected my computer to the router and I was unable to access the default gateway to sign-in.

I tried a number of IPs and domains I found in TP-Link support pages and community questions, I've tried a variety of different Ethernet cables, different Ethernet ports (end-device and router), and even a few different machines, but ultimately I had to throw in the towel.

Are there any additional things I could try before I have to return it?

EDIT :

The installation manual that came with the router (and the sticker at the bottom) says the default IP is 192.168.0.1. When I try and access it, the dev tools of Firefox give the error NS_ERROR_CONNECTION_REFUSED (Speculation: I believe Firefox is trying to upgrade my request to https once it can't reach through http), while Chrome gives me the error net::ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE. The same is true for any other IP I have tried.

I have also tried to reset the router several times by holding the reset button using a paper clip for around 20 seconds. When I do this, all the lights on the router turn on, turn off, and then proceed as if it were on a fresh power-cycle (I've also power-cycled the router and my computer 10+ times each at this point).

Running ipconfig /all yields the following (Windows 11, spacially formatted for easier read on desktop) :

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : TMDEV01
     Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . . . . . . :
     Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
     IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . . . : No
     WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  .  . :
     Description. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
     Physical Address. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 2C-F0-5D-A6-0E-F1
     DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
     Autoconfiguration Enabled. . . . . . . : Yes
     Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . . . . . : fe80::a944:98db:5c8c:d2a0%23(Preferred)
     Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . . : 169.254.210.160(Preferred)
     Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
     Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :
     DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 388821085
     DHCPv6 Client DUID . . . . . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-29-57-0C-58-2C-F0-5D-A6-0E-F1
     DNS Servers. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                                              fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                                              fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
     NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . . . . .  : Enabled

Few things, one, I do not have any kind of static IP set on this computer. Two, I've tried to access the Autoconfiguration IP from my ipconfig as well, and get no luck either. Firefox has the same error, but Chrome actually gives me net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED, which takes around 2 seconds to receive. I think this is the closest thing I've received to an actual response from the router.

Just to be exhaustive, I've also checked on a Linux (Ubuntu Server) machine to see if I get anything useful running ifconfig:

enp5s0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULITCAST>   mtu  1500

inet6  fe80::aaa1:59ff:fe67:c336    prefixlen 64    scopeid 0x20<link>

ether  a8:a1:59:67:c3:36    txqueue  1000    (Ethernet)

RX  packets  211773   bytes 107434655 (107.4 MB)

RX  errors  0   dropped  0   overruns  0   frame  0

TX  packets  170913   bytes 72875213 (72.8 MB)

TX  errors  0   dropped  0   overruns  0   carrier  0   collisions  0

I do not have IPv4 disabled on the Linux box, nor do I have a static IP set.

Running ping 192.168.0.1 from my Windows machine:

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
    PING: transmit failed. General failure.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

Running ping 192.168.0.1 on my Linux machine:

ping: connect: Network is unreachable

As far as connecting the cable goes, I'm just plugging a Cat 6A 3-foot Ethernet cable (RJ45) directly into one of the router's LAN ports (I've tried both the 2.5G and 1G ports), and the other end directly into one of my Windows/Linux machines' Ethernet ports, which all support 1G Ethernet speeds. Examining the router, I have an orange light when plugged into the 2.5G port, and a green light when plugged into a 1G port.

The router's status lights are as follows:

PWR: Solid green,

SYS: Slowly flashing green,

SFP: Off

USB: Off

Hopefully this is enough detail šŸ˜€

Thank you!

Ā  0 Ā  Ā  Ā 
Ā  0 Ā  Ā  Ā 
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER707-M2 cannot login to gateway (first configuration)-Solution
2023-09-16 03:32:49 - last edited 2023-09-18 06:04:39

@Clive_A Thanks for the input.

I verified the reset process according to your specification and I can confirm the router was in fact reset, but still does not work.

I've tried connecting from each and every LAN port on the router (even the WAN port just in case), and I am still unable to get an IP assigned to my device. There is no switch between the computer and the router, either. I have tried half a dozen different Ethernet cables of varying category, and I see the appropriate flashing lights for each port depending on the supported throughput of the cables I've tried. I've even tried multiple devices.

I believe the router is DOA, so I will be reaching out to my retailer to see about ordering a replacement. Thank you very much for your time.

Recommended Solution
Ā  1 Ā 
Ā  1 Ā 
Options
5 Reply
Re:ER707-M2 cannot login to gateway (first configuration)
2023-09-14 03:23:24

Hi @tmdev01 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

If you need urgent help or a walkthrough guide, you can ring technical support for help. Contact Technical Support

tmdev01 wrote

I've just got my ER707-M2 delivered today and was trying to configure the router as much as I could before replacing our old router.

I connected my computer to the router and I was unable to access the default gateway to sign-in.

I tried a number of IPs and domains I found in TP-Link support pages and community questions, I've tried a variety of different Ethernet cables, different Ethernet ports (end-device and router), and even a few different machines, but ultimately I had to throw in the towel.

Are there any additional things I could try before I have to return it?

Omada router does not use domain names. Default gateway IP is 192.168.0.1.

You cannot access the default gateway to sign in, then what's the error message?

I need more information to start with. I don't know the reason why. But usually, when you connect to a new router LAN, you should get the IP and log in without trouble.

Run ipconfig /all in CMD and check if you are getting an IP from 192.168.0.1/24 on your main Ethernet adapter. If no, did you set a static IP to your computer?

What's the result of ping 192.168.0.1?

How do you connect the cable? Be specific about the details. Or I am blind guessing.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update! ā˜›Download Beta Hereā˜š ā˜› ā˜… Configuration Guide ā˜… ā˜š ā˜› ā˜… Knowledge Base ā˜… ā˜š ā˜› ā˜… Troubleshooting Manual ā˜… ā˜š (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Ā  0 Ā 
Ā  0 Ā 
Options
2023-09-14 10:42:29

@Clive_A I've updated the original post to include more detail and answer the questions you asked. I did try and call your technical support, but after around a half hour on hold, the call was ended by your system. I presume that's because I called close to the end of your service time at about 5:55pm PST.

Ā  0 Ā 
Ā  0 Ā 
Options
2023-09-15 01:09:49

Hi @tmdev01 

You are getting a 169.254 IP address which is considered an invalid IP address. Usually, the router should assign you a dynamic IP address from its DHCP server when you connect an Ethernet cable from your computer to the router LAN port.

If you have already reset it multiple times, confirm if your reset is successful. It should turn off all the LEDs and come back. After a while, the LAN port will flash.

Then confirm if you connect to the right port, the cable is good, LAN is flashing green or orange. If you can confirm all of them are good, and you cannot get a DHCP IPv4 address, that's strange. 

Rare to see this problem. If it's a hardware issue, you can change it with the retailer. But I just need to make sure you are doing right. So far it looks right.

(BTW, if you have a switch in between, remove it. And try the router directly.)

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update! ā˜›Download Beta Hereā˜š ā˜› ā˜… Configuration Guide ā˜… ā˜š ā˜› ā˜… Knowledge Base ā˜… ā˜š ā˜› ā˜… Troubleshooting Manual ā˜… ā˜š (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Ā  0 Ā 
Ā  0 Ā 
Options
Re:ER707-M2 cannot login to gateway (first configuration)-Solution
2023-09-16 03:32:49 - last edited 2023-09-18 06:04:39

I verified the reset process according to your specification and I can confirm the router was in fact reset, but still does not work.

I've tried connecting from each and every LAN port on the router (even the WAN port just in case), and I am still unable to get an IP assigned to my device. There is no switch between the computer and the router, either. I have tried half a dozen different Ethernet cables of varying category, and I see the appropriate flashing lights for each port depending on the supported throughput of the cables I've tried. I've even tried multiple devices.

I believe the router is DOA, so I will be reaching out to my retailer to see about ordering a replacement. Thank you very much for your time.

Recommended Solution
Ā  1 Ā 
Ā  1 Ā 
Options
2023-09-18 06:04:13

Hi @tmdev01 

tmdev01 wrote

Then yes, indeed, it could be a DOA. Rare to see but there were some cases. I rarely meet this problem. Could be a loose soldering which causes this trouble.

Usually, you can contact the retailer for a return and get a new one.

Ā  0 Ā 
Ā  0 Ā 
Options