TP-Link ER605 (TL-R605, the one with USB port) doesn´t detect WAN 1 as primary conection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP-Link ER605 (TL-R605, the one with USB port) doesn´t detect WAN 1 as primary conection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-15 15:59:53 - last edited 2023-10-13 05:57:07
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hello!

I'm having an issue with my newly purchased Tp-Link R605, (the one with the USB port). My idea is to use it as a load balancer and failover so that when one ISP goes down, the other one comes up automatically. I currently have two internet service providers. One is a fiber optic connection of approximately 150Mbps. And the other one is a 4G modem that provides something like 12Mbps.

The internet provider 1 is connected to the main WAN port (the one on the far left). And it is set in the failover and link backup options as the primary one.

Provider 2 is connected to the second port, the WAN/LAN1 port, and marked as WAN. And in the failover and link backup options, it is configured as backup

The chosen rule is that 'if WAN 1 fails, connect to WAN/LAN1

I conducted a series of speed tests:

1. With only the primary WAN connected: 150 Mbps, which is OK.
  2. With only WAN/LAN1 connected: 12 Mbps, which is OK.
  3. Here is where it fails: with both connected, it results in 12 Mbps.

It seems like it might not be detecting the primary WAN port correctly as the primary one.

So what I did was skip the first port and start from the second one: I connected the primary ISP to WAN/LAN1 and the secondary one to WAN/LAN2. I reconfigured the backup rules and re-ran the speed tests.

1. With only the WAN/LAN1 connected: 150 Mbps, which is OK.
  2. With only WAN/LAN2 connected: 12 Mbps, which is OK.
  3. And finally succeeded! With both providers connected: 150 Mbps

And when I disconnect WAN/LAN1, it switches  to WAN/LAN2 and vice versa... it seems to work, but I'm concerned about not knowing why it doesn't work as it should with the primary WAN port. I'm wondering if there might be some issue with the equipment or something I'm overlooking. It seems strange to me that it works with the second and third ports but not with the first and second.

Any ideas? Thank you very much!

Pablo

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TP-Link ER605 (TL-R605, the one with USB port) doesn´t detect WAN 1 as primary conection-Solution
2023-09-18 02:01:41 - last edited 2023-10-13 05:57:07

Hi @PabloDNA 

It should work on the WAN port. There is no difference between them. I am more concerned that your test methodology is biased or not accurate. If you have more to add, I would love to hear.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/621018?replyId=1251914

One of the issues raised before was answered and tested and I can confirm that the device is capable of switching over back to the primary, and the WAN works.

How long did you wait to test the speed and verify that the link is not switching back to the WAN(as primary)?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:TP-Link ER605 (TL-R605, the one with USB port) doesn´t detect WAN 1 as primary conection-Solution
2023-09-18 02:01:41 - last edited 2023-10-13 05:57:07

Hi @PabloDNA 

It should work on the WAN port. There is no difference between them. I am more concerned that your test methodology is biased or not accurate. If you have more to add, I would love to hear.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/621018?replyId=1251914

One of the issues raised before was answered and tested and I can confirm that the device is capable of switching over back to the primary, and the WAN works.

How long did you wait to test the speed and verify that the link is not switching back to the WAN(as primary)?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 275

Replies: 1

Related Articles